Subject: Re: [Ospf-manet] MPR-OSPF GTNetS simulations report

From: Emmanuel Baccelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:48:26 +0100

Hi Richard,

MPR-OSPF ensures that each advertized link is synchronized. This is why 
there is not a drastic improvement with the adjacency reduction option.

We agree that enough was exchanged about the subject: it is not possible 
to compare the different proposals with mere simulations. In particular, 
we must evaluate the functions that are provided by the different 
mechanisms, and not only raw overhead in a single scenario. Experience 
must be gathered with MPR, MDR and OR in order to really compare these 
approaches. So let's do that!

Emmanuel

_______________________________________________
Ospf-manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ospf-manet

---

From: Aniket Desai <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 17:29:38 -0500

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Richard,

MPR-OSPF ensures that each advertized link is synchronized. This is 
why there is not a drastic improvement with the adjacency reduction option.

We agree that enough was exchanged about the subject: it is not 
possible to compare the different proposals with mere simulations. In 
particular, we must evaluate the functions that are provided by the 
different mechanisms, and not only raw overhead in a single scenario. 
Experience must be gathered with MPR, MDR and OR in order to really 
compare these approaches. So let's do that!

Emmanuel
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

 From the previous emails, it seemed that Dr. Ogier suggested the use 
of simulations as a "tie breaker" to even administer a proposal to 
experimental status. Simulations may not be the most accurate 
representation of the reality to the last bit, but they provide 
sufficient framework to cheaply evaluate and compare different 
proposals against each other. I believe it should be possible to 
design a series of parametric runs (changing node density, changing 
mobility, changing network size, changing radio range etc etc.) to 
extensively compare all the proposals against each other. All the 
criticism about considering only a single/limited set of scenarios 
gets nullified when one has conducted a parametric run, and I don't 
see any way other than the simulations to do this.

Thanks,

Aniket