Subject: Re: DR election

From: "Krishnan, Vijay G." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 12:15:35 -0400

The first router does not become the DR immediately. It waits for its
configurable "wait timer" to expire, before electing the DR. Others routers
could come up during this time. Once the DR is elected, addition of new
routers would not change the DR. This will reduce the instability due to the
DR changes.

regards
Vijay

-----Original Message-----
From: Mailing List [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Ilan
Bercovich
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 11:51 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: DR election

Hello
If all routers accept the DR regardless of their Router Priority,
It means that actually the first active router on the LAN is the DR.
Isn't this makes the Router Priority parameter somewhat irrelevant?
(In RSTP for instance, when priority is changed - network is
re-calculated).
Ilan

---

From: Erblichs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 09:37:25 -0700

Yes and no,

If a router "really wants to be the DR", the protocol does
allow this through a back door. The router must act like
it was already also elected as the DR. This can happen in
what was a split area. By coming up later, the later router
SHOULD know the other's priority and router-id. It can then
boost its broadcasted priority and/or its router-id to gurantee
re-election.

Mitchell Erblich
----------------------