Subject: [OSPF] LS-Update packet question.

From: "Vladimir S. Blazhkun" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 16:10:16 +0400 (MSD)

Hello,

Can anybody explain me briefly: why we need an explicit number of LSAs in
LS-Update packet? Why we cannot parse this packet byte-by-byte as DD/LS-Ack
packets?

-- 
Vladimir

_______________________________________________
OSPF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ospf

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 11:32:46 -0400

> LS-Update packet? Why we cannot parse this packet byte-by-byte as 
Hi Vladimir,

I believe it is mainly historic. Since router and network LSAs are 
variable length,
someone saw the requirement to ascertain the number of LSAs in an LS update
without parsing the packet. However, I can't see a strong requirement 
for this.
In any case, it's not something we're going to change now ;^)

Hope this helps,
Acee