Subject: [OSPF] link-LSA for ospfv3 multi area adjacency

From: Nischal Sheth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 18:18:05 -0700

Section 4 of RFC 5185 says that a link-LSA SHOULD NOT be advertised for a
ospfv3 multi-area adjacency.  Instead, it suggests that the neighbor's link
local address can be gleaned from hello packets.

It appears to me that this won't work for multi-area adjacencies in non-IPv6
AFs.  Any thoughts on loosening this recommendation and generating link-LSAs
for multi-area adjacencies in general or at least for non-IPv6 AFs?

Any other ideas to solve the above problem?

Thanks,
Nischal

_______________________________________________
OSPF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ospf

---

From: Peter Psenak <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:03:42 +0200

Nischal,

> for multi-area adjacencies in general or at least for non-IPv6 AFs?

5185 is based on the current OSPFv3 spec that supports only a single AF.
If the multi AF support in OSPFv3 requires changes to the 5158, it 
should be done as a part of the OSPFv3 multi-AF effort.

thanks,
Peter

---

From: Nischal Sheth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:40:56 -0700

> should be done as a part of the OSPFv3 multi-AF effort.

Hi Peter,

Fair enough.  This sounds like a good course of action.

It seems that the most straightforward solution would be to override the
RFC 5185 behavior for non-IPv6 AFs and generate link-LSAs for multi-area
adjacencies.  These must contain only the link local address and no other
prefixes.

Could the authors of the multi-AF draft please address this issue in the
next version?

Thanks,
Nischal