Subject: [OSPF] Review requested:draft-ietf-l1vpn-ospfv3-auto-discovery-00.txt

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 01:46:34 +0100

L1VPN and OSPF working groups,

During the IESG review of draft-ietf-l1vpn-ospf-auto-discovery-06.txt, the 
IESG asked the L1VPN working group to consider how to use OSPFv3 to provide 
IPv6-compliant auto-discovery for layer one VPNs. They agreed to let us do 
this work in a separate draft.

Lou Berger has kindly turned the handle and this is the result.

We intend to move forward toward WG last call with this work quite quickly, 
and so we would appreciate you review, comments, and feedback.

To start the discussion, please comment on whether you believe this draft 
should be Standards Track (as currently marked) or Experimental? It seems 
that there are no immediate plans for any implementation that would verify 
that the document is correct or stable.

Many thanks,
Adrian

>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
>directories.
> This draft is a work item of the Layer 1 Virtual Private Networks Working 
> Group of the IETF.
>
> Title           : OSPFv3 Based Layer 1 VPN Auto-Discovery
> Author(s)       : L. Berger
> Filename        : draft-ietf-l1vpn-ospfv3-auto-discovery-00.txt
> Pages           : 11
> Date            : 2008-06-11
>
> This document defines an Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) version 3
> based Layer-1 Virtual Private Network (L1VPN) auto-discovery
> mechanism.  This document parallels the existing OSPF version 2 L1VPN
> auto-discovery mechanism.  The notable functional difference is the
> support of IPv6.
>
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l1vpn-ospfv3-auto-discovery-00.txt

_______________________________________________
OSPF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ospf

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 13:12:48 +0100

Hi Julien,

My thinking on Experimental was simply that we have absolutely no 
implementation experience of this work. Neither the author nor the WG chairs 
have experience of implementing OSPFv3, and as far as we know, no-one has 
any plans to implement L1VPN autodiscovery with OSPFv3.

I think that the way things go is that once someone has implemented (or 
preferably when we have multiple implementations) we can come back, make any 
changes to the work that are necessary, and republish as standards track.

Cheers,
Adrian
----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 9:34 AM
Subject: RE: [L1vpn] 
Reviewrequested:draft-ietf-l1vpn-ospfv3-auto-discovery-00.txt

Hi all.

With respect to the v2-based solution, the v3 ID says: "The notable
functional difference is the support of IPv6." If it's actually the only
difference (I haven't deeply reviewed the new ID yet), is there a point
to make the draft Experimental? It is indeed likely to be implemented in
a longer term than the former one, but it is mainly a matter of schedule
towards IPv6. As the feature itself should look like the OSPFv2-based
solution, I'm rather in favor of "Standards Track", but maybe you have
some other reasons in mind (speed up publishing process?).

Regards,

Julien

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Adrian Farrel

During the IESG review of draft-ietf-l1vpn-ospf-auto-discovery-06.txt,
the
IESG asked the L1VPN working group to consider how to use OSPFv3 to
provide
IPv6-compliant auto-discovery for layer one VPNs. They agreed to let us
do
this work in a separate draft.

We intend to move forward toward WG last call with this work quite
quickly,
and so we would appreciate you review, comments, and feedback.

To start the discussion, please comment on whether you believe this
draft
should be Standards Track (as currently marked) or Experimental? It
seems
that there are no immediate plans for any implementation that would
verify
that the document is correct or stable.

Many thanks,
Adrian

> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l1vpn-ospfv3-auto-discove
ry-00.txt

_______________________________________________
L1vpn mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l1vpn

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:08:43 +0200

Hi Adrian.

In that case, if nothing precludes future reconsideration, then the answer is obvious... Anyway, I rely on the chairs (and maybe ADs) to take the appropriate decision about this minor issue.

Cheers,

Julien

-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Farrel [mailto:[email-masked]] 

Hi Julien,

Cheers,
Adrian
----- Original Message ----- 

Hi all.

Regards,

Julien

-----Original Message-----

Many thanks,
Adrian

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:24:22 -0400

I too am fine with either.  Will go with experimental in the next rev 
unless I hear otherwise from the chairs...

Lou

At 08:08 AM 6/16/2008, [email-masked] wrote:
>Hi Adrian.
>
>In that case, if nothing precludes future reconsideration, then the 
>answer is obvious... Anyway, I rely on the chairs (and maybe ADs) to 
>take the appropriate decision about this minor issue.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Julien
>
>