Subject: [OSPF] Protocol Action: 'Support of address families in OSPFv3' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 06:55:16 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Support of address families in OSPFv3 '
   <draft-ietf-ospf-af-alt-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Open Shortest Path First IGP Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ross Callon and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ospf-af-alt-10.txt

Technical Summary

   This document describes a mechanism for supporting multiple address
   families in OSPFv3 using multiple instances.  It maps an address
   family (AF) to an OSPFv3 instance using the Instance ID field in the
   OSPFv3 packet header.  For example, this supports a requirement to
   advertise other AFs in OSPFv3 including multicast IPv6, unicast IPv4,
   and multicast IPv4. This approach is fairly simple and minimizes
   extensions to OSPFv3 for supporting multiple AFs.

Working Group Summary

   No controversy reported (see PROTO writeup by Acee Lindem in the
   ID tracker). 

Document Quality

   The document has been well reviewed. Dave Ward, in his capacity
   as Routing AD, reviewed it several times. There are several
   implementations, at least one of which is commercially
   available.

Personnel

   Acee Lindem is the Document Shepherd for this document. Ross Callon
   is the Responsible Area Director.