Subject: [P2Prg] P2Prg intro / considerations for mobile peers

From: Andersen Frank-Uwe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:31:54 +0200

Hi,

I am working in a think-tank like department of a mobile network manufacturer. Having worked on the design of e.g. "mobile portals", WAP systems and the like, I recognized the p2p "wave" for quite some time, but we couldn't figure out how this would affect mobile devices using, for example, third generation (or beyond) mobile systems.

One of the main obstacle is, in our point of view, the bandwidth consumption for search algorithms that occurs even for passive participants of most p2p networks. To be more precise: running today's p2p clients on mobile phones is just not feasible for several reasons (simple pricing is one of them).

This is why we are most interested in modified search algorithms as well as bandwidth limited/optimized distributed storage systems for mobile peers.

Hence, may we suggest to the group to bear in mind these special requirements for mobile systems for the upcoming work.

Regards,

Frank-Uwe Andersen

_______________________________________________
P2prg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2prg

---

From: Carlos Alberto Kamienski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 06:54:05 -0300 (BRT)

Hi Frank-Uwe (and all),

Have you (someone) ever worked with p2p applications in mobile stations
using GPRS? We are just starting to work with p2p+gprs and would be very
pleased to get hints and pointers to previous experiences.

Thank you,

Carlos Kamienski

---

From: Carlos Alberto Kamienski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 06:54:05 -0300 (BRT)

Hi Frank-Uwe (and all),

Thank you,

Carlos Kamienski

---

From: coderman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:47:04 -0700

>I am working in a think-tank like department of a mobile network manufacturer. Having worked on the design of e.g. "mobile portals", WAP systems and the like, I recognized the p2p "wave" for quite s…
Ad-hoc/mobile community wireless and peer networks are a pair of 
complementary technologies that were made to go together.  I'd love to 
hear more about the types of applications and features you anticipate 
designing / implementing...

>This is why we are most interested in modified search algorithms as well as bandwidth limited/optimized distributed storage systems for mobile peers.
A project I have been working on for a while may be of interest.  It is 
called "alpine" and uses a unicast UDP discovery mechanism with peer 
grouping and profiling to optimize keyword and arbitrary metadata based 
searches in a fully decentralized manner.

Specifically:
* Peer communication uses small UDP datagrams without any forwarding.
* NAT is assumed and public endpoint resolution supported in the 
protocol.  This works perfectly for cone NAT's but suffers 
inefficiencies when two symmetric NAT clients are communicating.  This 
works well for mobile clients changing IP's and/or ports.
* A single level of indirection is supported so that remote peers 
(wireless clients, clients on dial-up, etc) can utilize the search 
capacity of a home computer on broadband or any other peer that may 
grant them a "proxy" session.  In this case query packets are sent to a 
single peer who then repeats the query using its own peer groups (and 
only once, no multiple forwards).
* Bandwidth consumption in the UDP based application level network stack 
is configurable by the user.

The "peer proxy" mode was designed specificaly for this situation, where 
a low bandwidth client wishes to legitimately utilize the resources of a 
server or high bandwidth peer to perform discovery on its behalf.

I am having some hosting problems at the moment; a temporary cache of 
some documentation is available here:
http://67.168.233.105:8080/alpine/overview.html
http://67.168.233.105:8080/alpine/discovery.html

>Hence, may we suggest to the group to bear in mind these special requirements for mobile systems for the upcoming work.
I would love to know more about the specific applications you intend to 
use this discovery / search feature for.  What types of architectures 
have you tried, and how were they insufficient?  (I.e. a DHT would allow 
efficient lookup with very little bandwidth, but providing a flexible 
metadata / keyword discovery on top of a DHT is proving difficult)

Best regards,
    Martin Peck.

---

From: coderman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:47:04 -0700

Specifically:

Best regards,
    Martin Peck.