Subject: Re: Descriptive discovery mechanisms (Was: RE: [P2Prg] Intro)

From: Sam Joseph <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:21:16 +0900

Hi Serguei and Mauricio,

Mauricio Arango wrote:

>>        While making DHTs suitable for fuzzy searches is
>>definitely a noble endeavor, personally I don't really
>>have high hopes for this approach. What makes me much
>>more interested is this:
>>
>>        1. Are there any non-DHT logarithmically scalable
>>           search algorithms that would be suitable for
>>           fuzzy, imprecise searches?
>>

I think getting good scalability from non-DHT systems is hard, but there 
are a number of systems trying to achieve this either by combining DHTs 
and fuzzy searches, such as PSearch, HyperCup or other approaches like 
NeuroGrid and Alpine to name a few.  A recently paper published 
summarises about 15 different systems with similar goals. 
Due to an oversight the abstract was not properly proof-read by a native 
English speaker - so don't let that put you off, the rest of the paper 
was properly proof-read.

You can access the paper "Decentralized Meta-Data Strategies: Effective 
Peer-to-Peer Search." here:  http://www.neurogrid.net/php/publications.php

The full bibtext reference includes a corrected abstract:

@article{Joseph03a,
author = {Sam Joseph and Takashige Hoshiai},
title = {Decentralized Meta-Data Strategies: Effective Peer-to-Peer 
Search},
journal = {IEICE Transactions on Communications},
volume = {E86-B},
number = {6},
pages={1740-1753,}
year = {2003},
abstract = {The release of the Gnutella file sharing system in Mach 2000 
stirred worldwide interest in the Peer-to-Peer (P2P) computing model. 
Put simply, the P2P model does not depend on a centralised management 
broker, like those that play an important role in many internet business 
models. The P2P approach enables peers to discover other peers with 
desired content or similar interests, without having to go through an 
intermediary server. It seems clear that the wealth of content made 
available by peer-to-peer systems such as Gnutella and Freenet have 
spurred many authors into considering how meta-data might be used to 
support more effective search in such a distributed environment. This 
paper reviews a number of these systems and their decentralized 
meta-data strategies while attempting to identify some common themes.},
URL={http://search.ieice.org/2003/pdf/e86-b_6_1740.pdf}
}

CHEERS> SAM

_______________________________________________
P2prg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2prg

---

From: Sam Joseph <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:21:16 +0900

Hi Serguei and Mauricio,

@article{Joseph03a,

CHEERS> SAM

---

From: Scott Michel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:54:28 -0700

Sam Joseph wrote:
> I think getting good scalability from non-DHT systems is hard

That's a really wild claim. The DHT systems out there today have a 
hierarchically decomposable name space, do routing and transparent request 
forwarding. You can generalize the binary identifier to any hierarchically 
decomposable name space, offer routing and request forwarding (doesn't have 
to be transparent to achieve symmetric P2P comm) and achieve the roughly the 
same result.

DHTs closely couple the peer network's structure and request forwarding to 
thier respective binary identifier namespaces. I'm not sure that this close 
coupling is necessary (that's what I'm claiming in my Ph.D. dissertation.) 
Most of what I claim is that there should be a separation of the service 
from its underlying infrastructure to make the infrastructure reusable and 
extensible. However, that shouldn't prevent optimizations like such as the 
DHT approach.

BTW, papers in the ACM HOTNETS conference proposed some interesting ways of 
implementing query services over DHTs. However, in my (limited) experience, 
the biggest drawback of a DHT is that the identifers need to be known a 
priori, as well as the mapping of identifiers to what is being identified.

-scooter

---

From: Scott Michel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:54:28 -0700

-scooter

---

From: Sam Joseph <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 13:04:59 +0900

Hi Serguei and Mauricio:

@article{Joseph03a,

CHEERS> SAM