Subject: [P2Prg] Call For Papers: Peer-to-Peer Internetworking

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:25:34 +0900

(Sorry for multi-posting.)

This is CFP for Peer-to-Peer Internetworking Workshop in Tokyo.

Best Regards, 

------
DOI, Yusuke <[email-masked]>
 Toshiba Corp., Research and Development Center
  Network and Computer Systems Laboratory

-----

			   Call for Papers

			      P2PI 2004
  (SAINT2004 International Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Internetworking)
co-located with the IEEE/IPSJ Symposium on Applications and the Internet

			 January 26-27, 2004
			     Tokyo, Japan

Important Dates
    Paper Submission: Oct 7, 2003
    Notification: Oct 20, 2003
    Final Manuscript: Nov 1, 2003
    Workshop Date: Jan 26-27, 2004

Theme: Internetworking Overlays

    Over the past years, a number of peer-to-peer networks have appeared,
    some with prominent success.  However, the possibility and potential
    of interconnecting these peer-to-peer networks have not been explored
    until recently.
    
    Peer-to-peer internetworking is going to redefine the way peer-to-peer
    networks are constructed.  Since no single peer-to-peer network can
    serve universal purposes, functional decomposition among multiple
    peer-to-peer networks has to occur as peer-to-peer internetworking
    framework is defined.
    
    Peer-to-peer internetworking will facilitate the introduction of
    heterogeneity, internationalization, monetary infrastructure, and
    various security mechanisms.
    
    This workshop is the occasion to address this theme widely, and is
    intended to share latest research results and exchange ideas, thereby
    promoting research activities in this area.
    
    Topics include, but are not limited to:
    - Interconnection of overlay networks
    - Heterogeneous overlay networks
    - DHT and other scalable lookup algorithms
    - Overlay networks and monetary transaction
    - Internationalization in P2P applications
    - Security in overlay internetworks
    - Resource discovery and location in overlay internetworks

    Papers should be sent via e-mail to
    <[email-masked]> no later than October 7th.
    Acceptable document formats are PostScript and PDF.  Please
    include "P2PI SUBMISSION" in the subject of e-mail, in order to
    facilitate anti-spam classification.

    Please note that, according to the SAINT2004 organizing committee,
    the workshop is subject to cancellation when enough paper
    presentations are not accepted.

Organizers:
    Yusuke Doi (Toshiba Corporation, Japan)
    [email-masked]

    Youki Kadobayashi, Ph.D. (Nara Institue of Science and Technology, Japan)
    [email-masked]

    Yuichi Kawasaki (Jnutella.org, Japan)

    Hiroyuki Morikawa, Ph.D. (University of Tokyo, Japan)

    Fumio Teraoka, Ph.D. (Keio University, Japan)

_______________________________________________
P2prg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2prg

---

From: Bill Yeager <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 21:08:09 -0700

Do you really believe this? I heard the same thing about network 
protocols in 1981. Many of us pushed very hard to make the then 
fledgling IP protocol the standard much to the dismay of DEC and XEROX 
(DECNet and XNS).  We all know where those two protocols ended up.   An 
open, IP standard took about 10 years to bury the others. There are 
many more that became extinct.

The below reminds me of most the the attempts to create protocol 
translating gateways. They have never led to anything long lived, and 
rarely is there a 1-1 mapping. Something is always lost.

I think the hypothesis for this workshop needs to be closely 
reexamined. That might make a good paper (-:

Arigato,

Bill

On Tuesday, August 19, 2003, at 08:25 PM, [email-masked] 
wrote:

> Since no single peer-to-peer network can

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:07:37 +0900

Bill,

Youki has already responded so I just add my point of view.
Let's consider this three-layer model.

+-------------+
| Applications|
+-------------+
       |
+-------------+
|   Overlay   |
+-------------+
       |
+-------------+
| Bare Network|
+-------------+

Your point as I see stands there's many `bare network' in the world,
and overlay unites them. My point is, `bare network' just let the
message from end to end, and overlay supports name/id/route function
per-application base. So, my view is like the following.

+-------------++-------------+
| Applications|| Applications|
+-------------++-------------+
       |              |     <- loosely coupled
+-------------++-------------+
|   Overlay   ||   Overlay   |
+-------------++-------------+
       |              |
     --+--------------+---   <- Decoupled.
       |
+-------------+
| Bare Network|
+-------------+

From this standing point, I have keen interests on overlay network
interconnection. This issue extends to version-up problem of overlay
network. Version 1 and 2 of overlay protocol X would be considered
as overlay X1 and X2. Thus, we need to interconnect them first to make
smooth migration.

Is the points clear?

Yusuke

At Fri, 22 Aug 2003 21:08:09 -0700,