Subject: [P2Prg] MMAPPS Day

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:21:55 +0100

Some of my colleagues here at BT Exact www.btexact.com are involved in a
project called MMAPPS (Market Management of Peer-to-Peer Services) which
I expect to be of interest to p2p-hackers, p2prg and decentralization
subscribers. (Apologies for crosspost if you don't agree).

For general project information see:
www.mmapps.org
For further information on the MMAPPS Project Day see:
www.mmapps.org/events

A summary of the project is shown inline below for reference. Please
feel free to contact me for further information and I will pass on your
enquiry to the relevant member of the team.

Cefn
http://www.cefn.com

MMAPPS (Market Management of Peer-to-Peer Services) is creating generic
middleware to support a new class of P2P applications that give peers
appropriate incentives to co-operate for the good of the whole peer
community. These applications will encourage peers to contribute and
will then efficiently allocate that contribution amongst the members of
the community.

The middleware is generic and supports the definition of a wide variety
of incentive schemes which may be based on rewarding good behaviour, or
on punishing bad. The schemes can involve payments for contribution but
can also be based on rules that enforce a minimum contribution through
community sanctions.

A key aspect is how peers contribution is accounted for; the middleware
provides support for a very wide variety of specific accounting and
management schemes, since we have come to the firm conclusion that
different P2P applications can require very different trade-offs in
terms of the necessary security/scalability/anonymity/robustness of such
schemes.

The MMAPPS middleware framework has the potential to underlie a very
wide range of future P2P applications, and allows easy re-use of many
different independently-developed accounting schemes (including
traditional micropayment schemes, reputation-based schemes, and many
more novel, lighter-weight 'record-based' schemes).

The project is now approaching its mid-point (and is in its engineering
phase) and so has plenty of results to report.

If you would like to be kept informed of the project's progress we
recommend you do so either via the MMAPPS Newsletter (issued quarterly)
or more directly through participation in the FREE 1-day MMAPPS Project
Day we will be holding (as part of NGC/ICQT'03). 

To receive further information on either the Newsletter or Project Day,
please send a mail to [email-masked], or register yourself directly
at the MMAPPS web-site www.mmapps.org.

MMAPPS Project partners are:	AUEB, BT, ETHZ, Mysterian, TA, TUD and
ULANC.

Disclaimer: This post represents the views of the author and does not
necessarily accurately represent the views of BT.

_______________________________________________
P2prg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2prg