Subject: [Fwd: Re: [P2Prg] CORE subgroup problem statement]

From: Arnaud Legout <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:36:06 +0100

I forgot to cc the mailing list.

Arnaud.

Subject: Re: [P2Prg] CORE subgroup problem statement
From: Arnaud Legout <[email-masked]>
To: Bill Yeager <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:48:10 +0100

Hello Bill,

Bill Yeager wrote
> Your taxonomy seems to be restricted to file sharing or at least the 
> delivery of content. While the latter is general I think you mean 
> reasonably sized files. What about communities, and messaging in 
> general? One can easily do text messaging (SMS or MMS like), play 
> games, and email within a P2P taxonomy for example.
right.
my taxonomy is by no way exhaustive. It is simply what I believe to be 
an enhancement compared to the classical structured/unstructured one.
This new taxonomy takes into account in addition to the old one file 
delivery.
It takes also into account small file delivery (MMS, etc.) as even in 
this case you have to perform peer selection, and perhaps piece 
selection if it makes
sense to split the content (perhaps slow terminals with heterogeneous 
capacities)
There are probably fundamental characteristics I do not take into 
account in the case of small file download, but it is a starting point.
>
> In particular with a community structure imposed for communication, 
> ie, all communication is intra-community, the yield is a virtual 
> private network if one adds TLS, and public key authentication as a 
> participation in a community requirement. This quickly gets us to SPAM 
> less communication, etc.
>
> P2P is quite rich and the application/services one can map onto the 
> right system diverse.
I agree, but as you said P2P is quite rich and it was not my intent to 
give a taxonomy that fit all cases.
I restrict myself to the case of P2P file transfer/localization. Then it 
is possible to add new branches to this taxonomy.
Given the complexity of P2P, it would not be reasonable to start with a 
general purpose taxonomy.

Regards,
Arnaud
_______________________________________________
P2prg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2prg