Subject: [P2Prg] CFP: ACM* healthnet 2008 (deadline extended to April 21)

From: Gaia Maselli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 18:01:31 +0200

We apologize for multiple receptions of this CfP.
=======================================================================

#     #                                         #     #
#     #  ######    ##    #        #####  #    # ##    #  ######   #####
#     #  #        #  #   #          #    #    # # #   #  #          #
#######  #####   #    #  #          #    ###### #  #  #  #####      #
#     #  #       ######  #          #    #    # #   # #  #          #
#     #  #       #    #  #          #    #    # #    ##  #          #
#     #  ######  #    #  ######     #    #    # #     #  ######     #

                    #####    ###     ###    #####
                   #     #  #   #   #   #  #     #
                         # #     # #     # #     #
                    #####  #     # #     #  #####
                   #       #     # #     # #     #
                   #        #   #   #   #  #     #
                   #######   ###     ###    #####

                       ACM SIGMOBILE (Pending)
                           HEALTHNET 2008
              http://reti.dsi.uniroma1.it/HealthNet08/

    The 2nd International Workshop on System and Networking
    Support for Healthcare and Assisted Living Environments

    Held in conjunction with ACM SIGMOBILE MobiSys 2008

    Breckenridge, Colorado, U.S.A.
    June 17th 2008
 =========================================================================

                          CALL FOR PAPERS

WORKSHOP SCOPE:
================

As  the  world's  population  grows  older,  healthcare  and
high-tech companies are joining forces. New technologies are
being used to provide  improved support for elderly and home
bound  people   in  their  homes  and   in  assisted  living
environments. The  overall goal  of these initiatives  is to
improve the quality of  life by providing customized support
to people  in need of  assistance. The main challenge  is to
provide this  support according  to the user's  own specific
situation in  a non-intrusive and respectful  way. These new
technologies  enable the automation  of the  observation and
support for elderly and home bound people through the use of
sensors,  actuators,  distributed  intelligence,  databases,
ubiquitous  connectivity and  friendly  adaptive interfaces,
all connected  mainly via  a variety of  wireless networking
technologies. The  ultimate goal is a system  that can adapt
to the  user's needs, helping  them get through  their daily
routine  in a  way that  is effective  in  providing support
where  needed   without  making  them   feel  humiliated  by
excessive  attention. To  provide such  support, it  will be
necessary  to combine  efforts from  many areas  of computer
science,   including    networking,   distributed   systems,
security, data management, HCI, AI and middleware.

Given the inherent use  of mobile and wireless communication
and the  need for comprehensive distributed  systems as well
as the multi-disciplinary nature of solutions for healthcare
and assisted  living environments, the goal  of HealthNet is
to provide a forum for the cross-area interactions that will
be  necessary for successful  systems and  applications. The
specific focus of HealthNet will be on understanding what it
takes to provide effective systems and communication support
for  healthcare and  assisted living  environments. Although
the  systems  and  networking  community  is  very  good  at
providing  effective  solutions  to  satisfying  application
requirements,  they  require  input  from experts  in  other
disciples, including HCI,  middleware, security, privacy and
social networking, to  provide a more accurate understanding
of      the     specific     requirements      for     these
environments.

THE  GOAL  of  HealthNet  is  to provide  a  forum  for  the
cross-area   interactions  that   will   be  necessary   for
successful  systems  and applications.   The  focus of  this
workshop will be understanding  and discussing what it takes
to provide  effective systems and  communication support for
healthcare and  assisted living environments.   This entails
cross-disciplinary   approaches   where   the  systems   and
networking   community,   traditionally   able  to   provide
effective  solutions that satisfy  application requirements,
will  need  to interact  with  experts  in other  disciples,
including  HCI,  middleware,  security, privacy  and  social
networking, to provide a  more accurate understanding of the
specific  requirements for  these  environments.  Therefore,
HealthNet   aims   to   attract   researchers   working   on
cross-disciplinary projects,  with a focus  on understanding
and   supporting   the   requirements   of   these   complex
applications.

Authors are invited to submit papers presenting new research
related  to the  support of  healthcare and  assisted living
environments.   All  submissions   must   describe  original
research,  not  published  or  currently  under  review  for
another workshop, conference, or journal.

AREAS of INTEREST include, but are not limited to:

* Enabling technologies
* Service and device discovery
* Security and privacy
* Reliability and fault tolerance
* User and device localization
* Resource management architecture
* User data management
* Middleware for heterogeneous networks
* Mobility and connectivity management
* Cross-layer system architecture design
* Human-centered Computing
* Task and behavior analysis
* Impact  of  user interface  design  on  system design  and
  management
* Test-beds and simulations environments
* Health technologies for developing countries

DEMO SESSION:
=============

To  provide a forum  for discussion  and interaction  and to
share  experimental experience,  HealthNet will  also  host a
demonstration session.   Extended abstracts describing demos
will be published in the proceedings.  Details on submission
are available on the web page.

IMPORTANT DATES:
================

Paper submission deadline:        April 21, 2008 (5PM US EDT)
Notification of acceptance:                     May 11, 2008
Camera ready version due:                       May 15, 2008
Workshop date:                                 June 17, 2008
Demo submission and notification:            Late April 2008

PAPER SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS:
===============================

All paper submissions will be handled electronically. Papers
must   be  in   PDF  format,   no  longer   than   6  pages,
double-column, with  a font size no smaller  than 10 points,
and must fit  properly on US Letter-sized paper  (8.5 inch x
11  inch) with reasonable  margins. The  first page  of each
paper  should  include the  names  and  affiliations of  the
authors, i.e.,  the submissions should not  be anonymous and
reviewing  is single-blind.  Submissions  will be  evaluated
based on technical content and correctness, relevance to the
workshop, as well as presentation of the research.

Agreements  are currently  sought  for considering  extended
versions  of   selected  workshop  papers   for  fast  track
publication  in a special  issue of  a prominent  journal in
wireless networking communications.

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
====================

WORKSHOP General co-Chairs:
 * Gaetano Borriello, University of Washington, Seattle, U.S.A.
 * Chiara Petrioli, Rome University "La Sapienza," Italy

TECHNICAL PROGRAM COMMITTEE co-Chairs:
 * Maria R. Ebling, IBM Research, U.S.A.
 * Robin H. Kravets, Univ. of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, U.S.A.

DEMO Chair
 * Wendi Heinzelman, University of Rochester, U.S.A.
 * Amy Murphy, FBK-IRST, Italy

PUBLICITY Co-Chairs:
 * Stefano Basagni, Northeastern University, U.S.A.
 * Gaia Maselli, Rome University "La Sapienza," Italy
 * Dario Pompili, Rutgers University, U.S.A.

SPONSORS (updated March 2008):
* ACM SIGMOBILE (pending),
* Microsoft Research (Gold)
* IBM (Silver)

-- 
Gaia Maselli, Postdoc
HealthNet 2008 Publicity Chair

Computer Science Dept.
Rome University "La Sapienza"
Via Salaria 113, 00198 Rome
Italy

_______________________________________________
P2prg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2prg