Subject: [P2Prg] CFP: Connecting Ubiquiitous Islands - workshop atUbiComp 2008

From: "Johan Hjelm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 09:47:24 +0900

++!CFP: Connecting Ubiquiitous Islands - workshop at UbiComp 2008!++

http://www.uia.no/ubicomp2008ws 

*Objective:

The requirements of ubiquitous networking services are occasionally
highlighted in the literature. These come in three dominant flavors: The
requirements on the network, on the development environment, and on the
devices used to create and access the service.

This workshop will seek papers that combine aspects of mobile,
wide-area, and ubiquitous computing by discussing, for example: 

* Interconnection of systems and networks for ubiquitous computing
services through mobile and broadband networks * Requirements from
ubiquitous consumer and enterprise services on networks and network
interconnectivity. 

* Use and development of open mobile platforms, femtocells and similar
technology to build systems and services for ubiquitous computing *
Terminals, applications and user interface concepts for leveraging
service enablers for ubiquitous connectivity * Security, privacy and
trust aspects for services combining global and local connectivity.

* Techniques, requirements, and examples of sharing and creating
services in global networks that leverage ubiquitous computing
technology.

*Call For Papers:

We solicit papers, demonstrations, videos, and posters for the workshop
"Connecting Ubiquitous Islands Using Mobile and Next Generation
Networks", to be held at the UbiComp 2008 conference on Sunday,
September 21, in COEX, Seoul, South Korea. 

Position papers will be required for participation in the workshop.

Papers should be 2-4 papges in length, and present a relevant research
topic, study area, or company position in a way that describes how the
presented material is relevant to the workshop topic. Contributions that
are likely to demonstrate diverging views in a constructive way will be
preferraby selected for presentation by the program committee. 

Submissions are due on June 27, 2008 at 23:59 French Polynesian time. 

* Expected Outcome:

The workshop will contribute to consensus building around areas for
further investigation by academia, in particular with regards to service
requirements and their impact on network design; as well as requirements
for standardization, including current best practices for network
interconnection based on requirements from services. 

* Publication: 

The documentation from this workshop (papers and presentations) will be
published on the workshop website upon receiving consent from the
authors. The publication of submissions to the website will not be
considered official publications and therefore will not prohibit
attendees from developing their work further and publishing it
elsewhere. This will be made clear on the website and on the online
proceedings. 

After the workshop, the organizers will publish selected papers as a
book with its own ISBN number, to enable future referencing, at the
discretion of the authors. Participants can elect to have their
contributions included in the book; selected papers will be encouraged
to create extended versions for the book. 

A poster summarizing the result of the workshop will also be created for
the Ubicomp poster track. 

* Workshop Scope and Background:

Services leveraging ubiquitous networking technologies are often running
in small islands of connectivity, here called "ubiquitous islands". At
the same time, networks exist that can be used to interconnect them -
but the requirements and constraints in doing so are poorly understood
and identified. For ubiquitous computing systems used in health care,
for instance, the requirements will be significantly different from
those where the interconnection is of systems used primarily for
entertainment. Even there, the consumption of music and the playing of
online games will present a completely different set of requirements. 

While not generally considered a technology for ubiquitous computing,
the mobile phone features prominently as the terminal device of choice
in papers from previous UbiComp conferences and similar academic and
industry events. Mobile networks, and the resources they expose, are
also frequently used in service development for ubiquitous computing,
either in itself or together with other resources from the ubiquitous
computing environment. However, several service enablers built into the
mobile phone by default (such as video telephony) are hardly utilized
today. 

Another aspect is the evolution of mobile networks. Standardization
activities are moving away from the 3G network towards first the
"long-term evolution" (LTE) of 3G networks, and then towards the
IMT-advanced networks, which will enable even higher data rates in
mobile networks and better support for mobility, roaming and handover..

But what requirements does ubiquitous computing put on such platforms as
Android? And what would it put on LTE? Gathering requirements for the
future connectivity of mobile devices and islands of ubiquity is
essential at this stage of standards development.

On the fixed network side the issue is not so much the development of
new technologies, but the continued build-out of broadband technology,
and the result is the same: More bandwidth available for
interconnection. Up to now the capacity bottlenecks have been in the
global network, however, in countries like Japan and Korea, where 1 Gbps
to houses and apartment buildings is becoming the norm, it is the home
network that is becoming the weakest link. How to set up
interconnections in a trusted and secure way is not self-evident,
neither in practice nor in standardization (e.g. ETSI TISPAN, DLNA and
Home Gateway Initiative).

Even though peer-to-peer file sharing systems leverage the distributed
topology of the network, they do not enable distributed creation.

However, user-created content is a natural continuation of ubiquitous
computing services. 

* Program Committee

The program committee will include the following participants: 

Prof. Frank Reichert, University of Agder, Norway (chair). 

Johan Hjelm, Nippon Ericsson KK, Japan (vice-chair). 

Dr. Andreas Fasbender, Ericsson GmbH, Germany (vice-chair).

Prof. Hiroyuki Morikawa, University of Tokyo, Japan.

The program committee can be contacted at [email-masked]

* Official UbiComp workshop site: 

http://ubicomp.org/ubicomp2008/workshops.shtml 

************************************************************************

==Please feel free to redistribute this message as appropriate==

++Apologies for any double-postings and unnecessary duplicates!++

========================================================================

_______________________________________________
P2prg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2prg