Subject: [p2p-sip] What are we doing, question 2

From: RADHIKA.R.ROY at saic.com (Roy, Radhika R.)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 09:47:44 -0400

Mike:

MANET WG is there in the IETF, and you are advised to contact them. Every
group has its own charter and you are welcome to provide technical comments
as you did here. However, I am not sure what your point is in saying this:
What is that you refer to "our work"? Whose work are you talking? Did IETF
assign you a spokesman for MANET?

In this context our work is this: p2pSIP works. Is this clear to you?

More are inline [RRR].

Best regards,

Radhika R. Roy

  _____  

From: mike_robnson at yahoo.com [mailto:mike_robnson at yahoo.com] 
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 5:40 PM
To: Roy, Radhika R.; Krishna Sankar (ksankar)
Cc: p2p-sip at cs.columbia.edu
Subject: Re: [p2p-sip] What are we doing, question 2

Radhika Roy wrote:

>>In fact, we will be working cooperating with them to complete our work:
>> p2pSIP Application Layer to the MANET Network Layer.

What is that you refer to "our work"? Whose work are you talking? 

[RRR] p2pSIP work. Is this clear to you?

Did IETF assign you a spokesman for MANET? 

[RRR] Do I need to take your permission to refer to MANET work? Do I need to
take MANET WG's permission to refer their work?

Could you please update us who authorized to speak on behalf of  MANET
group? 

[RRR] See above. It speaks for itself. You can got to MANET WG, and tell
them that I did not take their permission to refer MANET's works.

By the way, ad-hoc networks have nothing to do with p2p since p2p can run on
fixed infrastructure and ad-hoc networks need not use p2p for applications.

[RRR] Who told you so for mobile nodes? A fixed network can use both p2p and
non-p2p applications. A mobile ad hoc network does not have any choice, but
it is forced to use p2p schemes. Is this clear to you?

Did it occur to you that one can run client server applications even when
network may be based on ad-hoc network routing protocol. Supporting mobility
in p2p nodes is quite difficult contrary to what you say in your typical
hand waving style (since you would need to do reinsert your mobile nodes in
a DHT, reconfigure DHT, and update resource information at all DHT nodes)

[RRR] Are you being technically authorized to speak for the MANET WG? Did
you take the permission from the MANET WG before providing your tutorial on
MANET? Did you read all the routing protocols and resources reservation that
MANET WG is standardizing?

[RRR] Did you ever understand what DHT is trying to solve and what MANET
WG's routing protocols and resources reservation are trying to address, and
how they will eventually need to be correlated in the mobile network's p2p
environment when people need to solve problems from the application layer to
the lower network layer without using the so called proprietary solutions?

[RRR} Do you understand the differences between the p2p applications vs. p2p
routing protocols in mobile ad hoc network and how much works are needed to
forge them when both p2pSIP will be used over the p2p MANET network? Or, do
you like that p2pSIP WG will also address lower network routing protocols
for the p2p mobile network?

I hope you would try to understand the issues with DHT and mobility before
you resume your periodic vacuous comments in support of p2p sip (which
almost always are devoid of any technical input whatsoever). 

[RRR} Hope that you can read more on MANET routing protocols and then try to
relate the DHT and other things. Is this clear to you?

o mike

"Roy, Radhika R." <RADHIKA.R.ROY at saic.com> wrote:

KS:

To support p2pSIP for mobile nodes (if not mobile devices per se) should
not be difficult. IETF Mobile Ad Hoc Network (MANET) WG has already done
the most difficult works in this p2p networking environment: Network
Routing and QoS support.

So, it will be rather easy to support the p2pSIP application protocol
that will ride over the network layer MANET protocol. 

In fact, we will be working cooperating with them to complete our work:
p2pSIP Application Layer to the MANET Network Layer.

Best regards,
Radhika R. Roy

-----Original Message-----
From: p2p-sip-bounces at cs.columbia.edu
[mailto:p2p-sip-bounces at cs.columbia.edu] On Behalf Of Krishna Sankar
(ksankar)
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 11:43 AM
To: David Barrett; p2p-sip at cs.columbia.edu
Subject: Re: [p2p-sip] What are we doing, question 2

My view of the P2P-SIP world ...

> 2) Does P2PSIP work on mobile devices assigned dynamic IP addresses? 

Yep, definitely. Might not be that easy 

_______________________________________________
p2p-sip mailing list
p2p-sip at cs.columbia.edu
https://lists.cs.columbia.edu/cucslists/listinfo/p2p-sip

  _____  

New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman5/*http:/us.rd.yahoo.com/evt
=39666/*http:/messenger.yahoo.com>  regular phones from your PC and save
big.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://lists.cs.columbia.edu/pipermail/p2p-sip/attachments/20060606/c6025330/attachment.html