Subject: [p2p-sip] What are we doing, question 2

From: fluffy at cisco.com (Cullen Jennings)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 06:03:50 -0700

David - I think that is a great scenario for describing what we might  
be trying to do - and we need it at about this level of detail. If we  
had good agreement on something like this, we would be much closer.

I suspect from what I have heard so far, many folks on the list would  
be interested in this working when the two users are not within  
multicast reach of each-other and others would like it to work when  
the root DNS was not reachable.

On Jun 5, 2006, at 11:00 PM, David Barrett wrote:

> Well, what I'm trying to accomplish is enunciate a vision for how the
> product works for a user.  Once we agree upon what P2PSIP is  
> supposed to do
> for the user, then I think we can more easily discuss how to make that
> happen.
>
> With this in mind, here's an updated story for my vision of what a  
> P2PSIP
> 1.0 UA does:
>
> You and I each install a P2PSIP-enabled UA while sitting on the  
> same LAN.  I
> click the "Create a new network" button on my UA, and give it the name
> "quinthar".  [1] It asks me what my name is on this network, and I say
> "dbarrett". [2] Your UA detects this and lists "quinthar" as one of  
> the
> known networks, and "dbarrett at quinthar" as a known user. [3] You  
> choose the
> "quinthar" network and click "Join network", then specify that your  
> name is
> "fluffy". [4] On my UA, I see "fluffy at quinthar" is listed in as a  
> known
> user.  I double click on "fluffy at quinthar", and initiate a VoIP  
> call. [5]
>
> [1] For 1.0, anyone can create a network; later it might be tied to  
> public
> key encryption.
> [2] For 1.0, anyone can choose any name when joining a network;  
> later each
> network might have an administrator.
> [3] For 1.0, UAs broadcast their network affiliation using IP  
> multicast.
> Later there might be global network registries, special bootstrapping
> servers, or even a global DHT set aside to publish networks.
> [4] For 1.0, anyone can join any network they've discovered, or by  
> entering
> the IP:port of a node on the network.
> [5] We've created identities, discovered each other, and initiated  
> a SIP
> call -- all without ever touching a single server.
>
>
> Does this story basically capture the same product that you want to  
> enable
> with P2PSIP?  If not, can you follow the pattern above and lay out  
> your own
> story?
>
> -david

---

From: eunsoo at research.panasonic.com (Eunsoo Shim)
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 14:18:19 -0400

I am one of those who like to see P2PSIP working beyond the reach of IP
multcast or the access to the root DNS.
Thanks.

Eunsoo

Cullen Jennings wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> p2p-sip mailing list
> p2p-sip at cs.columbia.edu
> https://lists.cs.columbia.edu/cucslists/listinfo/p2p-sip

---

From: dbarrett at quinthar.com (David Barrett)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 11:49:10 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Cullen Jennings [mailto:fluffy at cisco.com]
> 

Totally agree.  I'm proposing this is part of v2.0+ scope.

After all, client server SIP works great across the internet; we know how to
solve that problem.  Where client server doesn't work is in environments
with no DNS, no persistent servers, etc.  Indeed, I believe this is the
whole goal behind P2PSIP.

Thus I propose rather than starting with a best-case network (that has
access to central servers in the form of DNS, proxies, bootstrapping
services, etc) and work out, we instead start with a worst-case network (two
laptops in the desert) and work back.

-david