Subject: [p2p-sip] What are we doing, question 2

From: RADHIKA.R.ROY at saic.com (Roy, Radhika R.)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 11:10:38 -0400

Inline [RRR]

  _____  

From: Mike Robinson [mailto:mike_robnson at yahoo.com] 
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 9:02 PM
To: Eunsoo Shim
Cc: Roy, Radhika R.; Krishna Sankar (ksankar); p2p-sip at cs.columbia.edu
Subject: Re: [p2p-sip] What are we doing, question 2

How would a node know apriori whether and when it supports mobility or not
since  IP mobility support is function of node and network infrastructure? 

[RRR] Let us wait for this as soon as we complete our p2pSIP work first.

[RRR] The second question is this: 1. Do you want to solve the mobility in
the context of the public Internet where it not apriori known? and 2. Or, do
you want to address this problem as an enterprise network where it is
apriori known?

Besides, the idea of making p2p sip functionality of a node dependent on
mobile-ip presence or absence sounds quite wrong to me.

[RRR] Probably not. I think p2pSIP is following the same what is being used
in normal SIP. That is, p2pSIP is transparent to mobility.

Unfortunartely, I don't have time to go in lengthy debates, but hopefully I
have conveyed that support for mobile nodes is not that simple either as
is/was being made.

[RRR] It depends. The complexity of the problems is not what MANET is
solving now for mobility with different speeds and in different directions
as well as for ad hoc networking where the network topology is always
changing.

[RRR] In some cases, the simple non-p2p-SIP, like 3G network, is being tried
to be used over the p2p MNAET network. It is far from the ideal as there are
so many limitations to get all problems solved. 

[RRR] In the same token, p2pSIP can also be used over the p2p MANET. Of
course, there will be some works need to be done for standardization, but
these are not overly complex problems that we have start to inventing some
fundamental new wheels. Let us not address this in p2pSIP WG.

o mike

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://lists.cs.columbia.edu/pipermail/p2p-sip/attachments/20060606/69b1fe6f/attachment.html