Subject: [p2p-sip] draft-baset-sipping-p2pcommon-00

From: hsinnrei at adobe.com (Henry Sinnreich)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:46:29 -0800

The proposed DHT protocol in "A Protocol for Implementing Various DHT
Algorithms" does not have a corresponding DHT operation (API) for
handling delay information. Should delay not be the most important
metric for neighbor node selection, used among other for selecting media
relays and proxies?

Related to this, the Internet-Draft does not include the Bamboo
algorithm used in the openDHT system; http://www.bamboo-dht.org/
Bamboo seems however to be the most interesting algorithm, among other
reasons since it has proximity neighbor selection based on delay and has
been designed for better handling churn in membership.

Is there a reason for not including Bamboo in the DHT algorithm
comparison and if so, what may it be?

I understand though that other DHT algorithms such as Chord have also
recently added proximity neighbor selection based on delay. Is this
true?
If yes, the info in the draft should be updated.

Thanks, 

Henry Sinnreich

---

From: hu.xinyu at huawei.com (Seaward Hu)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 14:44:26 +0800

I agree that we should take the PNS (proximity neighbor selection) into
consideration, for it can be a basis to select proximity resource in a
large-scale network.
May be it can be a optional requirement in peer or client protocol, but
shouldn't be excluded. In most cases, it will change the steps of enrollment
and follows.

Thanks.

Seaward 

>-----Original Message-----
>From: p2p-sip-bounces at cs.columbia.edu 
>[mailto:p2p-sip-bounces at cs.columbia.edu] On Behalf Of Henry Sinnreich
>Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 2:46 AM
>To: sipping at ietf.org
>Cc: P2P-SIP
>Subject: Re: [p2p-sip] draft-baset-sipping-p2pcommon-00
>
>The proposed DHT protocol in "A Protocol for Implementing 
>Various DHT Algorithms" does not have a corresponding DHT 
>operation (API) for handling delay information. Should delay 
>not be the most important metric for neighbor node selection, 
>used among other for selecting media relays and proxies?
>
>Related to this, the Internet-Draft does not include the 
>Bamboo algorithm used in the openDHT system; 
>http://www.bamboo-dht.org/ Bamboo seems however to be the most 
>interesting algorithm, among other reasons since it has 
>proximity neighbor selection based on delay and has been 
>designed for better handling churn in membership.
>
>Is there a reason for not including Bamboo in the DHT 
>algorithm comparison and if so, what may it be?
>
>I understand though that other DHT algorithms such as Chord 
>have also recently added proximity neighbor selection based on 
>delay. Is this true?
>_______________________________________________
>p2p-sip mailing list
>p2p-sip at cs.columbia.edu
>https://lists.cs.columbia.edu/cucslists/listinfo/p2p-sip
>