Subject: [p2p-sip] Status of P2P SIP - did we form a WG at the IETF lastweek?

From: drage at lucent.com (Drage, Keith (Keith))
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:51:38 +0100

Yes, but I do wonder why the IESG (I assume it was them) had to run the
process to the fullest extent. To me it was clear six months ago that
the proposed WG met all the rules, and the final polishing of the
charter could have been handled on the IETF discussion list (where I
believe it still has to go anyway). Having the extra BOF is not required
by the rules.

We seemed to end up having 300 people in a room to confirm a done deal.

Regards

Keith

> -----Original Message-----
> From: p2p-sip-bounces at cs.columbia.edu 
> [mailto:p2p-sip-bounces at cs.columbia.edu] On Behalf Of Michael Slavitch
> Sent: 16 November 2006 19:48
> To: Philip Matthews; P2P-SIP
> Subject: Re: [p2p-sip] Status of P2P SIP - did we form a WG 
> at the IETF lastweek?
> 
> "This is the most boring BOF I have ever attended".
> 
> Good news.  A BOF should be about as exciting as a tax audit, 
> for similar reasons.
> _______________________________________________
> p2p-sip mailing list
> p2p-sip at cs.columbia.edu
> https://lists.cs.columbia.edu/cucslists/listinfo/p2p-sip
>

---

From: slavitch at gmail.com (Michael Slavitch)
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 10:29:12 -0500

You need the 300 people in a room to get a done deal.

---

From: fluffy at cisco.com (Cullen Jennings)
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 21:58:43 -0500

The BOF went very well - the odds are very high a WG will be formed.  
What happens next might seem like needless bureaucracy but it really  
does add some value (ok, ok, I realize my viewpoint might be  
questionable here :-) The IETF believes in things like being able to  
work on a mailing list and letting the whole community comment - that  
means that forming a WG actually has to go to IETF Last Call on the  
IETF mailing list. This is a good thing IMHO. The IESG/IAB also needs  
some time to try and figure out how to make sure this work lines up  
with other WGs, IRTF groups, and try and set up the work so it has  
maximums chance of making good progress.

Don't worry - the BOF was a success and you are over the hard part of  
getting to a WG.

Cullen <with my AD hat on>