Subject: [P2PSIP] Generic Architecture with KBR/DHT separation

From: Ingmar Baumgart <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 09:51:39 -0800

The P2PNS draft proposes a modular architecure for the peer protocol
based on the paper "Towards a Common API for Structured Peer-to-Peer
Overlays" by F. Dabek and B. Zhao and P. Druschel and I. Stoica.

For P2PNS this results in three layer:

Key Based Routing (KBR): Route a message through the overlay to a
destination key (route/lookup interface).

Distributed Hash Table (DHT): Provides distributed storage of data
records by using the KBR layer (put/get interface).

Name Service/Cache: Uses the KBR/DHT layer to resolve SIP AoRs to IP
addresses (register/resolve interface).

In my opinion this architecture has the following benefits:

- Each of these layers can be easily reused for other applications than
P2PSIP (e.g. KBR is also useful for application layer multicast). The
name service can be reused for distributed DNS or HIT resolution.

- The KBR route/lookup interface provides a native solution to
send messages to nodeIDs. Compared to adding this functionality on top
of the DHT layer (like OpenDHT's ReDir does) the KBR approach is a
cleaner and more efficient solution.

- If you want to support different overlay topologies you only have to
change the KBR layer (the complete distributed data storage layer is
independent of the overlay topology).

- The CommonAPI approach is used by most of the current P2P simulators
like OverSim, PlanetSim or Overlay Weaver. Designing a CommonAPI
compatible peer protocol would make simulations of the peer protocol
much easier.

Are there any concerns about using the CommonAPI for the peer protocol?

Regards,
  Ingmar

-- 
Dipl.-Inform. Ingmar Baumgart
Institut für Telematik, Universität Karlsruhe (TH)
Zirkel 2, 76128 Karlsruhe, Germany
Phone: +49 721 608 8281, Fax: +49 721 608 6789

_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip

---

From: "Henry Sinnreich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 11:52:32 -0800

> "Towards a Common API for Structured Peer-to-Peer

This is the reference that explains the "p2p-natural" API and interface levels that I have mentioned during the meeting when arguing for a broader view of what a client should do and my position on the "SIP-natural" interface mentioned by Phil Matthews, if I have understood Phil correctly.

Phil?

I suggest the authors of the concepts draft and everybody else to review this document and please advise.

http://oceanstore.cs.berkeley.edu/publications/papers/pdf/iptps03-api.pdf  

Henry

-----Original Message-----
From: Ingmar Baumgart [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 9:52 AM
To: P2PSIP Mailing List
Subject: [P2PSIP] Generic Architecture with KBR/DHT separation

Regards,
  Ingmar