Subject: FW: [P2PSIP] Re: HIP pros and cons

From: "Andrey Lukyanenko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 17:16:23 +0200

Hello,

> I'd be interested in how that's implemented.  From what I can see, the original
> papers simply assume the existence of Secure-i3 for  rendezvous, and I don't
> see detailed enough docs from OpenHIP or HIPL for me to tell how they've implemented it.

Hi3 is based on i3 network (realization http://i3.cs.berkeley.edu/).
OpenHIP and HIPL both use the same simple model to deal with hi3.
First of all, it is an initialization, where we start the
initialization functions from i3 library, put triggers (one public
trigger with Id1=HIT and one private with Id2='Random number') into
existing i3-network (on planetlab). In the initialization phase we
also set that the control packets should go through i3 network (sendto
function from library). Secondly, to deal with hi3 we have "sending
phase". During this phase we send all control traffic through i3
network (not through raw sockets). We separate initiator and responder
side. In HIPL, the initiator is responsible for sending traffic
through i3; while the responder should answer the same network
(overlay) it received packet.

Use cases (for HIPL):

I, R – initiator and responder.
IP_I, IP_R – IPs of initiator and responder.
R_I, R_R – random numbers.
HIT_I, HIT_r  - HITs.

1. Initialization.

a) I and R start hipl with hi3 option.
b) hipl on both machines checks
rose.cs.berkeley.edu:8080/i3_status.txt list of existing i3 servers,
and tries to connect them.
c) I sends triggers (HIT_I,R_I) and (R_I, IP_I)  insertion command to
his best looking i3 server. R inserts (HIT_R,R_R) and (R_R,IP_R).
d) I and R redefines there send command to send control packets through i3.

2. Base exchange

a) I sends I1 packet to trigger HIT_R through i3. (I do not send IP_I
and do not know IP_R).
b) R receives I1 packet and replays with R1 to HIT_I in i3.
c) I receives R1 packet and sends I2 packet with locators (set of
possible IP addresses of I).
d) R receives I2 packet, choose one IP address from locators in I2 and
sets it to SA. And replays with R2 packet with list of R locators.
e) I receives R2 with locators, choose IP address for R, and set up SA.

Both ready for direct secure communications. Currently, as I know,
locators are in R1 and I2 packets in hipl, later they should be moved
to R2, I2.

OpenHIP do not use locators to send IP addresses, so I and R do not
hide there IP addresses from the beginning.

Best Regards,
Andrey Lukyanenko.
_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip