Subject: [P2PSIP] Some quick feedback on draft-hardie-p2psip-p2p-pointers

From: Dan York <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:22:55 -0400

Ted,

I've reviewed this draft  ( http://tools.ietf.org/rfcmarkup?doc=draft-hardie-p2psip-p2p-pointers 
  ) and listened to your presentation at this morning's P2PSIP  
meeting.  It seems like a worthwhile idea to continue exploring.  If I  
understand it correctly, this would enable me to put a link on my web  
site, for instance, that would let someone else with a compatible  
application click on the link, join the P2P overlay and initiate a  
call to me... or at least join my overlay.

To a degree this sounds like what Skype does with their URLs that let  
you join into a "public chat" which is a P2P IM cloud.  On one of my  
web sites ( http://www.blueboxpodcast.com/ ) I have a widget on the  
side that, if clicked by a Skype user, connects the user into the  
public chatroom.  The link itself is a big long hideous URL that has a  
"blob" of characters that are not meant for humans to read.    Beyond  
having this on a web page, I have also emailed the link and IM'd it to  
people in the past.

The ability to do this with P2PSIP seems like a great idea.  My major  
feedback on the draft is that it would be great if it included some  
use cases (or scenarios or whatever you want to call them) that talk  
about how this functionality might actually be used.  Could it be used  
for a "click-to-call" link on a web page?  Could it work like what I  
outlined works for Skype today?  If I can IM this link to someone, why  
might I want to do this?  Could it be used for voice, IM, or video?  
And if I put a link on my website, would anyone clicking it have to  
use the same application as me? (as is the case of Skype) or could  
they use any "P2PSIP compatible" application? (whatever those may be)

I think it would be useful to have 2 or 3 brief descriptions at the  
beginning that show how this functionality might actually work.  (And  
I'd be glad to work with you on some text if you would like.)

Regards,
Dan

-- 
Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     [email-masked]
Phone: +1-407-455-5859  Skype: danyork  http://www.voxeo.com
Blogs: http://blogs.voxeo.com  http://www.disruptivetelephony.com

Build voice applications based on open standards.
Find out how at http://www.voxeo.com/free

_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip