Subject: [P2PSIP] FYI - ALTO BOF documents... optimizing P2P traffic over networks

From: Dan York <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 09:00:39 -0400

P2PSIP list members,

I don't know how many of you are also subscribed to the P2PI mailing  
list that was for the P2P Infrastructure workshop recently held near  
Boston, but there's been a great deal of discussion leading to the  
creation of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) BOF  
being scheduled for Dublin.  If you aren't aware of the discussions,  
here's the recent round of documents:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-marocco-alto-problem-statement-01.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kiesel-alto-reqs-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hilt-alto-survey-00.txt   
(survey of research in the area)

Here's the abstract of the problem statement:

    A significant part of the Internet traffic today is generated by
    peer-to-peer applications used for file sharing, realtime
    communications and live media streaming.  Such applications often
    deal with large amounts of data in direct peer-to-peer connections,
    but they usually have little knowledge of the underlying topology,
    both at the overlay layer and the network layer.  As a result, they
    may choose their peers based on measurements and statistics which,  
in
    some specific situations, often lead to suboptimal choices.  This
    document describes problems related to optimizing traffic generated
    by peer-to-peer applications through the use of link and network
    layer information.

The mailing list is at: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2pi

Regards,
Dan

-- 
Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     [email-masked]
Phone: +1-407-455-5859  Skype: danyork  http://www.voxeo.com
Blogs: http://blogs.voxeo.com  http://www.disruptivetelephony.com

Build voice applications based on open standards.
Find out how at http://www.voxeo.com/free

_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip

---

From: "Victor Pascual Ávila" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 15:15:16 +0200

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hilt-alto-survey-00.txt

Thanks for the pointers Dan.

Thought you might be interested in this: P4P (Proactive network
Provider Participation for P2P)
http://www.openp4p.net/

Cheers,
-- 
Victor Pascual Ávila

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 08:41:23 -0500

> Provider Participation for P2P)

Victor: P4P was also represented in the P2Pi meeting held in Boston
in May.  Key representatives from P4P are contributing to the
ALTO BoF effort.  While P4P is dedicated mostly to the efficient
routing of P2P traffic, the ALTO BoF will, in most probability,
examine application routing efficiency in broader terms.

Thanks,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
2701 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9F-546, Lisle, Illinois 60532 (USA)
Email: vkg@{alcatel-lucent.com,bell-labs.com,acm.org}
WWW:   http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/bell-labs
_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip