Subject: [P2PSIP] Fetch things specific to a node

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:05:26 -0700

If you want to get a kind such as the "software version" that is  
specific to a node. Does that kind specify that a resource-id formed  
from the node-id or is the fetch directly to the node-id.

_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip

---

From: Bruce Lowekamp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:48:54 -0400

> from the node-id or is the fetch directly to the node-id.

To give another example of this, how should the diagnostic usage be 
implemented?  And how should similar future usages that define 
peer-specific data work?

Some options:

1) use the current protocol to route a FETCH to a node-id rather than to 
the resource-id.  The message is delivered to the correct node and it 
recognizes the kind (maybe there's a bit flag) that indicates this is a 
node-specific kind rather than a standard distributed hash kind.

2) specify a new method with essentially the same semantics

3) specify a different method for calculating a resource-id for these 
kinds such that the prefix for the resource-id for a node-specific kind 
just happens to be the desired peer-id.

(I personally prefer option 1 because I think it's the simplest to 
implement if you already have everything else.)

Bruce