Subject: [P2PSIP] browsing for enrollment services with DNS-SD and mDNS

From: james woodyatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:01:04 -0600

everyone--

I'm still crawling up the learning curve on the drafts in this working  
group, but I'm beginning to understand that the open issue I  
volunteered to help sort out revolves around the problem of browsing  
for and selecting enrollment services.

The only really special distinction between DNS-SD over mDNS and DNS- 
SD over uDNS is that the enrollment services so discovered will be  
reachable only by link-local scope IPv4 and/or IPv6 addresses.  I'm  
not sure, but I think this weakly implies that all the nodes in the  
overlay will be attached to the same link where there will be no need  
for NAT traversal methods and certain routing algorithms may work that  
don't work in the wide-area case.  I don't immediately see why that  
distinction should be visible in the enrollment service discovery  
system.

So, to that end, I'm not sure I see any need to call out mDNS as a  
special case in the P2PSIP base document.  It already mentions DNS-SD  
in the context of referring to draft-garcia-p2psip-dns-sd- 
bootstrapping, where the distinctions between mDNS and uDNS are more  
rightly discussed, and I suspect that might be enough for the working  
purposes.

--
james woodyatt <[email-masked]>
member of technical staff, communications engineering

_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip