Subject: [P2PSIP] Section 3.5.2 and 10.5 Discrepancies

From: jc <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 03:54:31 -0700

Hi,

 From subversion(04) draft:

3.5.2.  Joining, Leaving, and Maintenance Overview

The first thing the peer needs to do is form a connection to some  
"bootstrap node".

10.5.  Contacting a Bootstrap Peer

When contacting a bootstrap peer, the joining peer sends a Ping  
request to the bootstrap peer's known IP address with the destination  
Node-ID set to the joining peer's Node-ID

When the requester peer finally does receive a response from some  
responding peer, it can note the Node-ID in the response and use this  
Node-ID to start sending requests to join the Overlay Instance as  
described in

There are two problems here, the first is simply terminology.

3.5.2 uses "bootstrap node"

10.5 uses "bootstrap peer"

The second, 10.5 does not mention forming a connection and looks as if  
it was based on a UDP bootstrap mechanism or the multicast bootstrap 
(10.4). Am I correct that 10.5 is attempting to refer to 3.5.2 and  
that 10.5 should clear up the fact that your forming a connection to a  
bootstrap peer and not simply sending a datagram to bootstrap nodes  
and waiting for responses?

REgaRDs,
Julian