Subject: [P2PSIP] Question about the use of SAML with P2P SIP

From: zainab khallouf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:05:13 +0200

Dear all,
I would like to ask  about the use of SAML to build trust P2P SIP.
Any new researches or standardization efforts in this area?
I would like to know if it would be interesting to publish a draft
trying to define a profile SAML for P2P SIP ?
Thanks,
http://sites.google.com/site/zainabkhallouf/

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 13:36:32 -0800

It's not clear to me what this would do... P2PSIP already has a pretty clear
authentication and authorization structure, so what would SAML bring
to the party?

-Ekr

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 12:05 PM, zainab khallouf
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> P2PSIP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip
>

---

From: zainab khallouf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 08:33:09 +0200

> authentication and authorization structure, so what would SAML bring

As far as I know, these solutions rely mostly on centralized
authentication authority, or adhoc approaches.
Using SAML with P2P SIP allows to include a broad category of
authentication solutions: centralized or decentralized approaches like
the web of trust approaches, this what I tried to introduce in my
paper (Trust Management in Peer-to-Peer SIP Using the Security
Assertion Markup Language).
The draft (draft-ietf-sip-saml-06.txt) defines a profile SAML to be
used with SIP, but the daft does not define a profile to be used with
P2P SIP.

Thanks,

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 07:09:55 -0800

> used with SIP, but the daft does not define a profile to be used with

I can't access this article because it's on IEEE Xplor, but I don't really
see how this is going to work. P2P networks start to fall apart rapidly
with significant fractions of malicious nodes. In a WoT system,
you're not going to have any plausible information about the vast
majority of the nodes in the network, so I don't see how this is
going to be secure.

If you submit a draft, I will of course take a look.

-Ekr

---

From: EdPimentl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:10:57 -0500

Concur with Eric on embracing what p2psip is working on.
Look into OpenID, OSP and Higgins for your solution.

No doubt, Cullen, Henry, and David will have excellent links to point you
to.

Sincerely,
-E
http://vCardCloud.com
http://iotcloud.com (The Internet of Things Cloud)