Subject: [P2PSIP] Comments on draft-peng-p2psip-snmp-00

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 14:29:32 -0700

I've just read this document and I've got some comments/questions:

(1) I'm not sure I understand the relationship to the diagnostics draft.
They seem to
occupy much of the same space in terms of use cases.

(2) The general concept of this draft seems to be that there is a set of
devices/peers
which are allowed to be management devices in the SNMP sense. Given the
relatively unstructured nature of the p2p network I wonder how much people
will really be willing to serve signnificant amounts of management
information
to random controller nodes.

-Ekr

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 15:40:44 +0800

Hi Eric,

  Our aim of introducing the SNMP usage is to allow existing Management 
systems which use SNMP to work with RELOAD networks. It is not built in 
the RELOAD protocol as in the diagnostic draft. It provides a way to add 
management modules when network operators needs more management functions, 

including trapping node failures, dynamically reconfiguring nodes, etc.

  For a RELOAD network using SNMP, there will be some operators who are 
authorized to control the network, possibly same as the organizations who 
deploy 
the enrollment and configuration server. And there will be some manager 
servers
deployed by the network operator. Ordinary nodes may have lightweight SNMP 

agents on them to be managed by the operator. Management traffic should be 
quite
small, and it helps the network work smoothly. So, users may be willing to 
deploy
such management agents on their nodes.

Regards

Wang wei
ZTE

Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]> 
发件人:  [email-masked]
2010-11-07 05:29

收件人
[email-masked]
抄送

主题
[P2PSIP] Comments on draft-peng-p2psip-snmp-00

-Ekr
_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip

--------------------------------------------------------
ZTE Information Security Notice: The information contained in this mail is solely property of the sender's organization. This mail communication is confidential. Recipients named above are obligated to maintain secrecy and are not permitted to disclose the contents of this communication to others.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the originator of the message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.
This message has been scanned for viruses and Spam by ZTE Anti-Spam system.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 17:25:49 +0800

(1) This draft introduces a network management method and system. 
Diagnostic functions may be included in network management functions, but 
it also may not belong to the network management functions. Because 
diagnostic functions is mainly provided for network software maintainer, 
but not network operator. Diagnostic method may be looked as a tool, but 
network management method shold be looked as a system. Of course, their 
implement methods are different. 

(2) Only if a network needs to be managed, management devices will be 
deployed by administrator. And managed peers trust management devices by 
some security methods of SNMP.

Peng Yonglin.

收件人
[email-masked]
抄送

主题

-Ekr