Subject: [P2PSIP] A question about turn-density on page 100 of draft-ietf-p2psip-base-11.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 13:33:25 +0800

The text is as follow in the draft:
If turn-density is too high, then the process of finding TURN servers 
becomes extremely expensive as multiple candidate Resource-IDs must be 
probed.

But I think this sentence is incorrect, and it should be "If turn-density 
is too low". Do you think so?

Peng YongLin

*************************************************
邮 件：[email-masked]
内 线：88190
外 线：025-52878190
手 机：13776637274
*************************************************

--------------------------------------------------------
ZTE Information Security Notice: The information contained in this mail is solely property of the sender's organization. This mail communication is confidential. Recipients named above are obligated to maintain secrecy and are not permitted to disclose the contents of this communication to others.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the originator of the message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.
This message has been scanned for viruses and Spam by ZTE Anti-Spam system.

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 07:17:43 -0700

I believe this is correct. The higher turn-density the more candidate
resource-id names there are,
which means that the likelihood of there being a server at each resource-id
(holding the actual
number of servers constant) decreases. Thus, if turn-density (which,
remember, is your
estimate) is too high, then you have to probe a lot of resource-ids

-Ekr

2010/11/2 <[email-masked]>

> _______________________________________________
> P2PSIP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip
>
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 10:13:30 +0800

The turn-density is described as following in draft:
"a turn-density parameter that indicates how many times each TURN server 
should record itself in the overlay."

I think when the number of turn servers is certain, a turn server 
registers in the network more times, which will help peers to find it.
Conversely, when the number of turn servers is certain, if a turn server 
registers in the network only few times, it is more difficult that the 
turn server resource-id generated by the peers randomly equals to the turn 
server resource-id that a real turn server registered. So peers have to 
probe more reource-ids.
So, I think if turn-density is high, peers are easy to find a turn server.

Peng Yonglin

Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]> 
2010-11-05 22:17

收件人
[email-masked]
抄送
[email-masked], [email-masked], P2PSIP WG <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked], [email-masked]
主题
Re: [P2PSIP] A question about turn-density on page 100 of 
draft-ietf-p2psip-base-11.

I believe this is correct. The higher turn-density the more candidate 
resource-id names there are,
which means that the likelihood of there being a server at each 
resource-id (holding the actual
number of servers constant) decreases. Thus, if turn-density (which, 
remember, is your
estimate) is too high, then you have to probe a lot of resource-ids

-Ekr

Peng YongLin 

*************************************************
邮 件：[email-masked]
内 线：88190
外 线：025-52878190
手 机：13776637274
************************************************* 
--------------------------------------------------------
ZTE Information Security Notice: The information contained in this mail is 
solely property of the sender's organization. This mail communication is 
confidential. Recipients named above are obligated to maintain secrecy and 
are not permitted to disclose the contents of this communication to 
others.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended 
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. 
If you have received this email in error please notify the originator of 
the message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the 
individual sender.
This message has been scanned for viruses and Spam by ZTE Anti-Spam 
system.

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 17:02:02 -0700

Good catch. I have fixed this and tried to clarify the text a little to make it clearer. 

On Nov 2, 2010, at 11:33 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> If turn-density is too high, then the process of finding TURN servers becomes extremely expensive as multiple candidate Resource-IDs must be probed. 
> 
> But I think this sentence is incorrect, and it should be "If turn-density is too low". Do you think so?
> 
> Peng YongLin 
>