Subject: [P2PSIP] Question about the Leaving procedure for Chord-Reload in Base 13

From: lingli deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 09:26:43 +0800

Hi all,

I am concerned about the specific leaving procedure for Chord
algorithm described in Chapter 9, which does not address the data
migration issue from the leaving peer to the newly responsible peer.
Is it assumed that the newly responsible peer is one of the backup
peers in Chord?
Even if it is the case, there seems to be possibility for loss of data
if the leaving peer does not perform data backup right before its
exit.

Would this be a problem?

BR,

Lingli Deng

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 11:13:21 -0700

> Is it assumed that the newly responsible peer is one of the backup

Yes, that's how Chord works.

> if the leaving peer does not perform data backup right before its

The leaving peer is supposed to replicate the data when it is stored, so
in general loss should be minimized. If the client really cares, it can check
the replicas to see if the store happens and if not re-store.

> Would this be a problem?

Well, it can happen, but there's no guarantee that data is never lost, it's
just a "with low probability" anyway. IMO no fix is required here.

Best,
-Ekr

> BR,
>
> Lingli Deng
> _______________________________________________
> P2PSIP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip
>