Subject: [P2PSIP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-p2psip-base-19.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 12:40:51 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Peer-to-Peer Session Initiation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : REsource LOcation And Discovery (RELOAD) Base Protocol
	Author(s)       : Cullen Jennings
                          Bruce B. Lowekamp
                          Eric Rescorla
                          Salman A. Baset
                          Henning Schulzrinne
	Filename        : draft-ietf-p2psip-base-19.txt
	Pages           : 165
	Date            : 2011-10-29

   NOTE:  This version address some, but not all, of the comments
   received during IESG review.  The authors are still working on
   addressing many more of the comments but as the draft deadline for
   IETF 82 arrives, this represents the modification made so far.

   This specification defines REsource LOcation And Discovery (RELOAD),
   a peer-to-peer (P2P) signaling protocol for use on the Internet.  A
   P2P signaling protocol provides its clients with an abstract storage
   and messaging service between a set of cooperating peers that form
   the overlay network.  RELOAD is designed to support a P2P Session
   Initiation Protocol (P2PSIP) network, but can be utilized by other
   applications with similar requirements by defining new usages that
   specify the kinds of data that must be stored for a particular
   application.  RELOAD defines a security model based on a certificate
   enrollment service that provides unique identities.  NAT traversal is
   a fundamental service of the protocol.  RELOAD also allows access
   from &quot;client&quot; nodes that do not need to route traffic or store data
   for others.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-p2psip-base-19.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-p2psip-base-19.txt

---

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 14:33:50 -0700

Not a full review yet, but I saw this new text in section 10.3:

"The enrollment server
 SHOULD maintain a mapping of users to node-ids and if the same
 user returns (e.g., to have their certificate re-issued) return
 the same Node-ID, thus avoiding the need for implementations to
 re-store all their data when their certificates expire."

Even after the sentence is fixed there would still be two issues:

- - How does this work if the user requested multiple certificates from the same
login?
- - How does this work if the number of Node-Ids requested changes?

Also I would like to point out that I proposed a different solution to this
problem in this draft:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-petithuguenin-p2psip-reload-bis-00#section-6

My solution does not permit to change the private key without assigning new
Node-Ids, but in addition of not having the two problems listed above, it does
not require server-side storage.

> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-p2psip-base-19.txt

- -- 
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Personal email: [email-masked]
Professional email: [email-masked]
Blog: http://blog.marc.petit-huguenin.org