Subject: [P2PSIP] RELOAD Prototype

From: Joscha Schneider <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 16:44:24 +0100

Hello all,

Just before Christmas we are pleased to announce a prototype RELOAD 
stack called RELOAD.NET available as open source. The stack originated 
from T-Systems in Darmstadt, Germany and has been extended by University 
of Applied Sciences in Hamburg and University of Applied Sciences in 
Mannheim.

First and foremost, the stack is slightly behind the actual draft, some 
important features are missing and the further development depends on 
potential developers willing to put effort into the stack.

The implementation is written in C# based on the .NET framework version 
4.0. The source code is compiled to a library that allows using the 
stack as a C# assembly.

RELOAD.NET is hosted on GitHub at:

https://github.com/RELOAD-NET/RELOAD.NET

The RELOAD.NET library implements all the layers as defined by the 
RELOAD architecture. This includes the Usage Layer allowing the 
implementation of further Usages and the Message Transport, which relies 
on the Chord algorithm that is implemented within the Topology Plugin. 
The Storage Layer has the ability to store all three mandatory data 
types (value, array, and dictionary). Further, the Forward and Link 
Management Layer uses the commercial Eldos Secure Black Box (SBB) 
library to realize the transport using TLS. Also, the SBB is used for 
the certificate handling.

Although RELOAD.NET represents a rather advanced implementation, some 
requirements specified by the draft are missing. In particular, the 
implementation of the ICE connection establishment is missing. Also, the 
implemented message fragmentation isn't compliant to the draft.

So far the documentation is lacking. For the basics we have set up a 
Wiki on GitHub:

1)Getting Started gives an overview how to set up the RELOAD.NET project 
using Visual Studio.

https://github.com/RELOAD-NET/RELOAD.NET/wiki/Getting-Started

2)Running the Stack explains briefly how the stack is configured and a 
RELOAD peer started.

https://github.com/RELOAD-NET/RELOAD.NET/wiki/Running-the-Stack

3)Open Topics will be used to list potential topics for further 
development. So far most important is the elimination of the proprietary 
SBB component.

https://github.com/RELOAD-NET/RELOAD.NET/wiki/Open-Topics

The stack's future depends highly on voluntary developers. We are aware 
of some constraints that aren't ideal for an open source project but we 
hope that enthusiastic developers might contribute to expedite the 
implementation.

To set up a configuration and enrollment server we refer to the service 
of Marc Petit Huguenin:

http://blog.marc.petit-huguenin.org/2012/08/a-configuration-and-enrollment-service.html

For further information including GitHub push permissions please don't 
hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards and Happy Holidays,

Joscha Schneider

University of Applied Sciences Mannheim

Institute for Software Engineering and Computer Networks

[email-masked]

---

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 07:23:20 -0800

Hi Joscha,

Congratulations on releasing this source code.  I believe that, even more than
for other Internet protocols, code diversity for RELOAD is an important
foundation for resilient deployments.

May I suggest that you repost this in the RELOAD implementers[1] mailing-list?
 I have some questions on your implementation that are probably off-topic here.

Thanks.

[1] http://implementers.org/mailman/listinfo/reload

On 12/20/2012 07:44 AM, Joscha Schneider wrote:
> Hello all,
> 
> Just before Christmas we are pleased to announce a prototype RELOAD stack
> called RELOAD.NET available as open source.  The stack originated from
> T-Systems in Darmstadt, Germany and has been extended by University of
> Applied Sciences in Hamburg and University of Applied Sciences in
> Mannheim.
> 
> 4.0. The source code is compiled to a library that allows using the stack
> as a C# assembly.
> 
> The RELOAD.NET library implements all the layers as defined by the RELOAD 
> architecture. This includes the Usage Layer allowing the implementation of 
> further Usages and the Message Transport, which relies on the Chord
> algorithm that is implemented within the Topology Plugin. The Storage Layer
> has the ability to store all three mandatory data types (value, array, and
> dictionary). Further, the Forward and Link Management Layer uses the
> commercial Eldos Secure Black Box (SBB) library to realize the transport
> using TLS. Also, the SBB is used for the certificate handling.
> 
> implemented message fragmentation isn’t compliant to the draft.
> 
> So far the documentation is lacking. For the basics we have set up a Wiki
> on GitHub:
> 
> 1)      Getting Started gives an overview how to set up the RELOAD.NET
> project using Visual Studio.
> 
> 2)      Running the Stack explains briefly how the stack is configured and
> a RELOAD peer started.
> 
> 3)      Open Topics will be used to list potential topics for further 
> The stack’s future depends highly on voluntary developers. We are aware of
> some constraints that aren’t ideal for an open source project but we hope
> that enthusiastic developers might contribute to expedite the
> implementation.
> 
> To set up a configuration and enrollment server we refer to the service of
> Marc Petit Huguenin:
> 
> For further information including GitHub push permissions please don’t
> hesitate to contact me.
> 
> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> 
> 

- -- 
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Email: [email-masked]
Blog: http://blog.marc.petit-huguenin.org
Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/petithug