Subject: [Pals] Brian Haberman's No Objection on draft-ietf-pals-vccv-for-gal-05: (with COMMENT)

From: "Brian Haberman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 06:04:25 -0700

Brian Haberman has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-pals-vccv-for-gal-05: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pals-vccv-for-gal/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there a particular reason to request that the assigned MPLS VCCV CC
Type be bit 3?

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 13:32:01 +0100

On 14/09/2015 14:04, Brian Haberman wrote:
> .
This is carried in a  bit field - one bit per CC type so that the 
receiving PE can
determine the set of CC types that its peer can support. The three previous
types used bit 0, 1, 2. It was therefore tidy if this used bit 3.

Please see:

https://www.iana.org/assignments/pwe3-parameters/pwe3-parameters.xhtml#pwe3-parameters-11

and look for

MPLS VCCV Control Channel (CC) Types

- Stewart

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 08:36:31 -0400

Hi Stewart,

> MPLS VCCV Control Channel (CC) Types

Yes, I understand all that.  However, we generally do not direct IANA to
use a specific value.  Documents should request the allocation of a
value from that registry and IANA will determine the assigned value.

Regards,
Brian

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 18:36:18 +0100

> value from that registry and IANA will determine the assigned value.
Hi Brian,

The text says:

"It is requested that Bit 3 be assigned to this purpose which would have a value of 0x08."

That is a request, and not a direction, and it is quite common for the WG responsible
for a protocol to provide this sort of guidance to IANA.

- Stewart