Subject: [Pals] RFC 8220 on Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) over Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 16:04:46 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8220

        Title:      Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM)
                    over Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) 
        Author:     O. Dornon,
                    J. Kotalwar,
                    V. Hemige,
                    R. Qiu,
                    Z. Zhang
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      43
        Characters: 88663
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pals-vpls-pim-snooping-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8220

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8220

This document describes the procedures and recommendations for
Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) Provider Edges (PEs) to facilitate
replication of multicast traffic to only certain ports (behind which
there are interested Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) routers
and/or Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) hosts) via PIM
snooping and proxying.

With PIM snooping, PEs passively listen to certain PIM control
messages to build control and forwarding states while transparently
flooding those messages.  With PIM proxying, PEs do not flood PIM
Join/Prune messages but only generate their own and send them out of
certain ports, based on the control states built from downstream
Join/Prune messages.  PIM proxying is required when PIM Join
suppression is enabled on the Customer Edge (CE) devices and is
useful for reducing PIM control traffic in a VPLS domain.

This document also describes PIM relay, which can be viewed as
lightweight proxying, where all downstream Join/Prune messages are
simply forwarded out of certain ports and are not flooded, thereby
avoiding the triggering of PIM Join suppression on CE devices.

This document is a product of the Pseudowire And LDP-enabled Services Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC