Subject: [Pals] [Errata Held for Document Update] RFC8469 (6082)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 12:00:32 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been held for document update 
for RFC8469, "Recommendation to Use the Ethernet Control Word". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid6082

--------------------------------------
Status: Held for Document Update
Type: Technical

Reported by: Michal Dolegowski <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2020-04-09
Held by: Deborah Brungard (IESG)

Section: 3

Original Text
-------------
Thus, if the source MAC address of an Ethernet frame carried over
the PW without a control word present begins with 0x4 or 0x6, it
could be mistaken for an IPv4 or IPv6 packet.  This could,
depending on the configuration and topology of the MPLS network,
lead to a situation where all packets for a given PW do not follow
the same path.

Corrected Text
--------------
Thus, if the destination MAC address of an Ethernet frame carried over
the PW without a control word present begins with 0x4 or 0x6, it
could be mistaken for an IPv4 or IPv6 packet.  This could,
depending on the configuration and topology of the MPLS network,
lead to a situation where all packets for a given PW do not follow
the same path.

Notes
-----
The first nibble of an Ethernet frame is the first nibble of the destination MAC address, not the source MAC address.  The erroneous packet reordering occurs for traffic traveling toward the device with the 0x4... or 0x6... MAC address

--------------------------------------
RFC8469 (draft-ietf-pals-ethernet-cw-07)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Recommendation to Use the Ethernet Control Word
Publication Date    : November 2018
Author(s)           : S. Bryant, A. Malis, I. Bagdonas
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Pseudowire And LDP-enabled Services
Area                : Routing
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG