Subject: RE: PANA and cryptographic keys

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 17:47:21 -0600

> > When you are pushing the keys as part of fliters to EP, what does it
> > mean to EP ? Does it mean that the EP should be expecting some sort
> > of key exchange shortly from the PaC ? Or the PaC is free to ignore 
> > setting up SA with the EP and setup a secure channel (VPN) back to
> > home network ? I prefer the latter. 
> 
> These all depend on the access network architecture. It might be using
> L2 (e.g., WEP) or L3 (e.g., IKE and IPsec) mechanisms for 
> that purpose. 
> PaC might need to have profiles to know what exactly is being used in 
> a particular network, etc.
> 

Having the PaC understand the underlying security in place may be a tall
order. The simpler design would be for the PaC to secure all messages 
and ignore the capability of the security provided by the access link.

-Basavaraj

---

From: "Alper E. YEGIN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 18:54:33 -0800

> and ignore the capability of the security provided by the access link.

Are you saying this for the PANA messages, or for the data packets once
PaC is authenticated and authorized? My earlier note is about the latter.

alper