Subject: multiples PAAs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:00:04 +0100

Hi all,

"Discovery and Initial Handshake Phase" text in the protocol draft:
    There can be multiple PAAs on the link.  The result does not depend
    on which PAA PaC chooses. By default PaC chooses the PAA that sent
    the first response.

IMHO, there is a need to clarify here. Let's assume that we have 
multiple PAAs separated from EPs:

             PaC1a --+            +- PAA1
                     |            |
             PaC1b --+-- EP1 -----+- router -----+
                                  |              |
              PaC2 ----- EP2 --- -+              |
                                  |              |
              PaC2 ----- EP3 -----+- router -----+----- (AAA)
                                  |
                                  +- PAA2

I mean if:
- PAA1 provisions EP1
- PAA2 provisions EP2 and EP3
then it should be this way:
- PAA1 authenticates Pac1a and PaC1b
- PAA2 authenticates PaC2 and PaC3

it should be stated that the PAA which authenticates the PaC should be 
the same as the one which provisions the corresponding EP(s).

thanks,
yacine

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 12:22:24 -0800

Hi Yacine,

Before we attempt solving how PANA can handle this case, I think we need to
understand if this is a realistic scenario. We shouldn't have to solve every
possible combination unless there is some realistic drivers behind them.

Why would we have such an access network where there are two disjoint sets
of PAAs and EPs, but somehow they are physically connected? Normally an
access network is owned by one service provider (a NAP), which places its
own PAA(s) and EPs. Do you have a scenario that leads to the network design
you are describing?

Thank you.

alper