Subject: RE: PANA and handover

From: Tschofenig Hannes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:13:36 +0100

hi Julien!

please see my comments inline:

- snip - 

>  
> > for (b) an interaction with a intra-domain mobility 
> protocol is possible.
> > the protocol machinery is very simple. further work on this 
> topic requires
> > that we make progress on the pana protocol first.
> 
> ok, basically, I thought that it could be a flag in the 
> PANA_start from the PaC
> indicating that it has been previously authenticated  and information
> permitting to the PAA to be sure of this. Sure there are problems 
> concerning EP configuration, session key etc... and what 
> information the PaC
> must furnish. 

if we provide some interaction with the intra-domain mobility protocol then
it would be nice to have some sort of context transfer. thereby it is
possible to make use of work done in the seamoby group to forward context
transfer information from the old access router to the new one. the context
which needs to be transferred is 
- pana sa 
- maybe device identifier information (needs to be adjusted after mobility)
- ipsec (if ipsec sa is established after pana exchange)

to specify exactly what information needs to be transferred (at this stage)
is hard since we haven't discussed all details of a pana protocol yet. hence
i guess this is subject for future work. we should, however, keep it in
mind. 

if no such context transfer procedure is available then the best which can
be provided is communication to the local aaa server (instead a full aaa
roundtrip to the home aaa server). this is also not too bad. 

i think that other proposals using tokens, tickets, cookies etc., which have
been considered in the environment of seamoby, are less favorable since they
require some information to be exchanged to the end host (over a possible
scarce radio resource) and in most cases provide the same functionality as
ct (some even provide less). 

i fully agree with you that some attention should also be paid to mobility
environments where performance (computational, bandwidth and latency)
matters. with respect to the refresh messages i guess we have already
thought about mobility handling a bit. 

what do you think? does this sound like a resonable approach?

ciao
hannes

---

From: Julien Bournelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:33:56 +0100

> what do you think? does this sound like a resonable approach?

it seems a reasonable approach.

thanks

[email-masked]