Subject: [Pana] NEW [issue53] Additional discovery information

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 11:40:32 +0200

New submission from Dan Forsberg <[email-masked]>:

> Jari Arkko:
>      - "Additional discovery information?"
>        I'm not sure if there is a need to provide some additional
>        information in the discovery phase. For instance, is there a
>        need to identify the NAS/PAA in a scenario where the NAS/PAA
>        has multiple interfaces and multiple addresses? Knowing you
> are still connected to the same NAS might help future handoff
> designs.

Alper Yegin:
This sounds like a useful feature. I'd recommend we open an issue and
investigate this. It can assist movement detection.

----------
category: Technical
document: draft-ietf-pana-pana-xx.txt
messages: 192
nosy: dforsber
priority: May Fix
status: Pending
title: Additional discovery information
__________________________________________________
PANA Issues <[email-masked]>
<http://danforsberg.info:8080/pana-issues/issue53>
__________________________________________________
ڝ���X��X����j'�~����i����
bz���j)fj��b��?���

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:28:42 -0800

> investigate this. It can assist movement detection.

I agree that this might be a useful feature.  This might help the VLAN
hopping scenario described in section 10.2.2.1 of the PANA Framework
draft.  How about defining a PAA-Identifier AVP that contains one of
the global addresses of the PAA?

Usage:

- A PAA-Identifier AVP MAY be contained in PANA-Start-Request message.

- A PAA-Identifier AVP and a Session-Id AVP MAY be contained in
a PANA-PAA-Discover message.  (Note that the current specification already 
allows a Session-Id AVP to be carried in PDI.)

- When a PAA receives a PANA-PAA-Discover message with a known PANA
session identifier in a Session-Id AVP and its own PAA identifier in a 
PAA-Identifier AVP, it initiates a PANA-ReAuth-Request/Answer exchange.

Yoshihiro Ohba

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:28:42 -0800

Usage:

Yoshihiro Ohba

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:02:12 -0800

> PAA-Identifier AVP, it initiates a PANA-ReAuth-Request/Answer exchange.

I guess we don't want to use PAA device ID for this, because that can be a
link-local address. Is that right?

We might consider PAA-id to be an opaque value, and mention that it can be
an IP address of the PAA. Is it worth having this flexibility?

There is some text in 4.9 Mobility Management that talks about how to
determine the previous PAA. We shall remember to update that text too.

Alper

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:02:12 -0800

Alper

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:18:12 -0800

> link-local address. Is that right?

Yes.

> an IP address of the PAA. Is it worth having this flexibility?

If global uniqueness is required (I think it is), allowing an opaque
value will introduce ambiguity.

> determine the previous PAA. We shall remember to update that text too.

OK.

Yoshihiro Ohba

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:18:12 -0800

Yes.

OK.

Yoshihiro Ohba

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:20:46 -0800

If we mandate the Session-ID AVP format to same as Diameter's, do we still
need a PAA-ID AVP?

PAA identity would be embedded in the session-id:

<DiameterIdentity>;<high 32 bits>;<low 32 bits>[;<optional value>]

Alper

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:20:46 -0800

Alper

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:34:38 -0800

> <DiameterIdentity>;<high 32 bits>;<low 32 bits>[;<optional value>]

Yes, DiameterIdentity in Session-Id AVP can be used for identifying
PAA, and an additional PAA-ID AVP is not needed.

Yoshihiro Ohba

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:34:38 -0800

Yoshihiro Ohba