Subject: [Pana] same name space...

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:38:58 -0700

The PANA specification says:

6.5  AVPs in PANA

   Some of the used AVPs are defined in this document and some of them
   are defined in other documents like [RFC3588].  PANA proposes to use
   the same name space with [RFC3588].  For temporary allocation, PANA
   uses AVP type numbers starting from 1024.

I'm not sure what exactly using the same name space means here. Does it
mean what we should never use a DIAMETER AVP name as a PANA AVP name
unless the specifics are exactly same as defined in RFC 3588?

Alper

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:05:17 -0400

> unless the specifics are exactly same as defined in RFC 3588?

The paragraph is trying to indicate that PANA AVP code and Diameter
AVP code share the same code space.  For example, a Diameter AVP of
AVP code X and a PANA AVP of the same AVP code X point to the same AVP
definition (also implying that they use the same AVP name).  On the
other hand, I think PANA AVP Code can have its own code space as we
already do for PANA message types: If PANA AVP code X and Diameter
AVP code Y has the same the definition in the AVP payload, then the
PANA speficiation can just indicate so.

What do you think?

Yoshihiro Ohba

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:59:26 -0700

> PANA speficiation can just indicate so.

Actually we are not using the same code space anymore. (why the codes
are starting from 1024, I don't know...).

   AVP Code

      The AVP Code, combined with the Vendor-Id field, identifies the
      attribute uniquely.  AVP numbers are allocated by IANA [ianaweb].
      PANA uses its own address space for this field although some of
      the AVP formats are borrowed from Diameter protocol [RFC3588].

Alper

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:58:55 -0400

Hmm, then I think the specification can simply:

- remove the following sentense: "PANA proposes to use the same name
space with [RFC3588].  For temporary allocation, PANA uses AVP type
numbers starting from 1024." 

AND

- Renumber PANA AVP codes starting from 1.

Yoshihiro Ohba