Subject: [Pana] framework open issue

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:41:54 -0400

Section 11 of draft-ietf-pana-framework-01.txt says:

"
11.  Open Issue

   Certain combination of network environments and timing cases may
   require further considerations.

   If PaC changes access point right after a successful PANA
   authorization but before POPA configuration, it might be confused
   whether the new IP address configured via the new access point is the
   POPA of the ongoing session or a PRPA of a new session.  When the
   PRPA and POPA types or configuration mechanisms are different this is
   not a problem.  One possible combination where such clues are not
   available is when PaC moves from a Case A of Section 10.2.1.1
   (IPsec-TIA obtained by using DHCPv4) network to a Case D of Appendix
   A.1 (IPsec-TIA obtained by using RFC3118) network.

   In another example, when PaC switches from one wired Ethernet hub to
   another (without the use of bootstrapping IPsec) before configuring
   the POPA.  In this case, PaC may not able to know whether an obtained
   address is the POPA in the same subnet or a PRPA in a new subnet.
"

I think the above issue is related to DNA and not necessarily a PANA
framework issue (i.e., DNA can deal with this issue.)

Suggested change: Remove this section.

Yoshihiro Ohba

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:48:18 -0700

The first case shouldn't be marked as an issue on the I-D as the
associated mechanisms are only discussed in the Appendix as possible
other ways (but not officially supported otherwise).

Second issue can be handled either by use of link-layer event
notifications on the PaC, or the PAA initiating the PANA discovery
unsolicitedly.  

I got to the same point in a different way, but I agree with Yoshi that
we should remove this section.

Alper