Subject: [Pana] and network selection

From: Avi Lior <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 15:22:46 -0500

Issues with Network Selection.

PANA provides its own network selection and EAP also provides a network
discover mechanism (draft-adrangi-eap-network-discovery-05.txt)

These may conflict with each other.  Furthermore, the PAA may not know that
the EAP payload contains network discovery material.

What happens if both are used?  Is it something that PANA needs to be
concerned about? Do we need to say something about this in PANA?

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 21:32:29 -0500

Hi Avi,

I think network selection in PANA (that is ISP selection) and the
network selection based on EAP (that is intermediary network
selection) does not conflict each other for the following reason:

Network selection based on EAP occurs always after completion of
network selection in PANA in its discovery and handshake phase (this
is guaranteed because section 5.12.1 of pana-pana-06 explcitly
prohibits piggybacking EAP-Request in PANA-Start-Request messsage).
This means that network selection based on EAP is only performed under
the chosen ISP.

I agree that we should clarify somethign like this in the PANA
specification draft.

Regards,

Yoshihiro Ohba