Subject: [Pana] issue 136: network selection (resolution)

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:38:18 -0500

I forgot to send the revised text after the discussion last week, and
here it is:

----
5.11  Network Selection

In a discovery and handshake phase, a PANA-Start-Request message sent
from the PAA MAY contain zero or one NAP-Information AVP and zero or
more ISP-Information AVPs to advertise the information on the NAP
and/or ISPs.  The PaC MAY indicate its choice of ISP by including an
ISP-Information AVP in the PANA-Start-Answer message.  The PaC can
choose an ISP and contain an ISP-Information AVP for the chosen ISP in
a PANA-Start-Answer message even when there is no ISP-Information AVP
contained in the PANA-Start-Request message.  When an ISP-Information
AVP is not present in the PANA-Start-Answer message, a default ISP is
automatically chosen by the PAA.

When a AAA backend is used, the identity of the destination AAA server
or realm MAY be determined based on the the client identifier (e.g.,
an NAI) carried in the EAP authentication method.  Note that AAA
typically uses the client's NAI to route the request to an appropriate
home server.  PANA's ISP selection mechanism does not preclude the use
of roaming.  That is, the realm provided in the NAI may not match the
chosen ISP; all that is required is that the chosen ISP is capable of
routing the request to the realm in the NAI.  As a result, PANA's ISP
selection feature does not affect the NAI but rather the next hop AAA
entity from the PAA.  Note that this may limit the ability of the
access network to use a local AAA proxy for all outgoing traffic,
assuming ISP selection is needed.  This is because the PAA can only
affect the next hop selection at the PAA, and it may not have means to
present a "source route" to the next hop proxy for doing it in the
next step.  In the roaming case, the PAA MAY carry ISP-Information
AVPs only for ISPs that are directly connected to the access network
it resides, not for all possible home ISPs.

In addition to performing network selection by using PANA for choosing
an ISP, another level of network selection may be performed by using
EAP for choosing AAA intermediaries
[I-D.adrangi-eap-network-discovery].  The latter network selection
occurs over EAP in PANA authentication phase after completion of the
former network selection in PANA discovery and handshake phase,
possibly in the scope of the chosen ISP.
---

Regards,
Yoshihiro Ohba

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana