Subject: [Pana] Editorial comments on draft-ietf-pana-pana-07.txt

From: Vijayarajan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 19:49:55 +0530

Hi,
            I have a few editorial comments on
draft-ietf-pana-pana-07.txt.
            
1.         In section 6.2 “PANA Header”, the description of Message
Length field reads
                        Message Length
 
The Message Length field is “three” octets and indicates the length
of the PANA message including the header fields
 
whereas it should be
 
                        “Message Length
 
The Message Length field is “two” octets and indicates the length
of the PANA message including the header fields”
 
2.          In section 6.3 “AVP Header”, the description of AVP Length
field says
 
                        AVP Length
 
      The AVP Length field is “four” octets, and indicates the number of
                              octets in this AVP including the AVP Code,
AVP Length, AVP Flags,
      and the AVP data.
 
            whereas is should be
 
                        AVP Length
 
      The AVP Length field is “two” octets, and indicates the number of
                              octets in this AVP including the AVP Code,
AVP Length, AVP Flags,
      and the AVP data.

3.         
7.2.18  PANA-Update-Request (PUR)
 
            The PANA-Update-Request (PUR) message is sent either by the
PaC or
            the PAA to deliver attribute updates and notifications.  In
the scope…
 
            But 7.2.19 somewhat contradicts the above sentence
 
            7.2.19  PANA-Update-Answer (PUA)
 
The PANA-Update-Answer (PUA) message is sent by the PAA to the PaC in
response to a PANA-Update-Request.
 
            It might be re-phrased as
The PANA-Update-Answer (PUA) message is sent by the PAA(PaC) in
response to a PANA-Update-Request from the PaC(PAA).
 
4.         In section 7.1, the second paragraph reads
 
                        Every PANA message MUST contain a message ID in
its header's
“Message-Id” field, which is …
            
            However, in section 6.2 “PANA Header” the PANA header and
the description of the fields
            both use the term “Message Type” for the same field.
 
5.         In section 6.2, the description of N Flag is as follows
                        N(AP authentication)
 
         When the N-flag is set in a “PANA-Auth-Request” message, it
         indicates that the current EAP authentication is for NAP
         authentication.  When the N-flag is unset in a
         “PANA-Auth-Request” message, it indicates that the current EAP
         authentication is for ISP authentication.  The PaC MUST copy
         the value of the flag in its requests from the last received
         request of the PAA.  The value of the flag on an answer MUST be
         copied from the request.  The N-flag MUST NOT be set when
         S-flag is not set.
 
            My understanding is that the N Flag would even be set in
PANA-FirstAuth-End-Request
            And PANA-Bind-Request if the current EAP authentication is
for NAP authentication.
            Likewise, it would be unset in PFER and PBR if the current
EAP authentication is for ISP 
            Authentication. 
 
Regards,
Vijayarajan R
_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:38:04 -0500

Thank you for the comments.  I think all of your comments are valid.
Please see my comments below.

> of the PANA message including the header fields”

Yes, the Message Length field should be two octets.

>                               octets in this AVP including the AVP Code,

Yes, the AVP Length field should be two octets.

> response to a PANA-Update-Request from the PaC(PAA).

Yes, the text should be revised as such.

>             both use the term “Message Type” for the same field.

This is a leftover of an old revision.  The "Message ID" should be
replaced with "Sequence Number".

> EAP authentication is for ISP 

You are right.  The text should be revised something like:

"
      N(AP authentication)

         When the N-flag is set in a PANA-Auth-Request, a
         PANA-FirstAuth-End-Request or a PANA-Bind-Request message, it
         indicates that the current EAP authentication is for NAP
         authentication.  When the N-flag is unset in a PANA-Auth-Request, a
         PANA-FirstAuth-End-Request or a PANA-Bind-Request message, 
         it indicates that the current EAP authentication is for ISP
         authentication.  The PaC MUST copy the value of the flag in
         its answer from the last received request of the PAA.  The
         value of the flag on an answer MUST be copied from the
         request.  The N-flag MUST NOT be set when S-flag is not set.
"

Regards,

Yoshihiro Ohba