Subject: [Pana] Comments on draft-ohba-pana-statemachine-01 from Dan

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 00:09:09 -0500

These are comments from Dan Forsberg on
draft-ohba-pana-statemachine-01.  Since we already got comments on the
-00 revision of the draft from Julien Bournelle last year, Dan is the
second reviewer of PANA state machine document.

Dan, when you come up with issues on PAA state machine, please send
your additional comments.

Regards,
Yoshihiro Ohba

----

State machine comments
----------------------

Section 6.4. PAC State machine

   State WAIT_EAP_MSG_IN_DISC: How about PAA retransmitting PSR, or is
   it queued and consumed in WAIT_PAA state?

   State WAIT_PAA, 2nd EAP result, 6th transfer: what is the meaning
   of this? I.e. PAA sends PANA_SUCCESS as result code without
   EAP_Payload AVP and alt_reject() is executed. Is this really
   possible?

   States WAIT_EAP_RESULT_CLOSE, WAIT_1ST_EAP_RESULT, and
   WAIT_1ST_EAP_RESULT_CLOSE. Should EAP_RESP_TIMEOUT be here as well.

Section 7.4 PAA State machine

   None for now.   
   
Editorial comments
------------------

Possibly a terminology section needed:

   "state block", "variable", "event variable", "configuration
   variable?" (i.e. explain the variables, their "scope" and
   differences).

Chapter 4. 

   3rd paragraph: There could a figure showing the triplet before the
   text that starts with "All conditions are expressions that...".

   4th paragraph: Fragment the sentence starting with "The exit
   actions in only one state block execute at a time, even if the
   conditions..".

   5th paragraph: What is the reason for this? To simulate
   polling/event notification system.

Section 5.1

   EAP_Restart(): New session or eap reauth?

Section 5.3

   Add new line between the two last bullets.

Section 5.6

   "The following transitions can occur at any state.", but the state
   CLOSED is used in the end.

   s/retransmission/transmissions/

   Could rephrase the "Reach maximum number of retransmission" or move
   it before the exit conditions where the exit action is
   Disconnect().

Section 6.1.1 and 7.1.2.

   "this procedure is enabled only after..." Could explain when
   disabled to get better picture (i.e. to say that it happens
   implicitly via the session termination?).

Section 6.1.5

   alt_reject() procedure example could help to understand.

Section 6.2 and 7.2

   Could separate event variables from the "others"? Are there for
   example configuration variables. [could even add a prefix like
   EVENT_, or CONF_, or STATIC_].

Section 6.4

   State OFFLINE: 4th PSR processing transition, exit condition:
   s/PSA.S_flag/PSR.S_flag/

   State WAIT_EAP_RESULT (return PSA). Authorize() and
   SessionTimerStart() order differs in the 2 first
   transitions. (consistency).

Chapter 7.

   Explain that the PAA state machine is session specific, i.e. not
   supporting multiple session simultaneously.

Section 7.2

   Add new line before EAP_FAILURE entry.

Section 8.

   s/be seamlessly be/be seamlessly/

Section 9.3

   s/be bounded/be bound/

Section 12 (references)

   Add other authors to the draft-ietf-pana-mobopts-00.
----

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana