Subject: [Pana] pana-snmp issue

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:57:58 -0500

The following issue was raised in the IETF62 PANA meeting with regard
to pana-snmp I-D:

  Can we define MIB objects to carry cryptographic protection
  parameters of any link-layer type?

Yoshihiro Ohba

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:15:21 -0800

>   parameters of any link-layer type?

I am hoping that we can simply define a structure that can serve the
need of practically any link type. If we can convey a "L2 address" and a
"master key" to the EP, that should be sufficient. We don't need to
define the exact format of all L2 types for the "L2 address". Instead we
can follow the scalable approach taken in RFC 2461, where exact format
for FOO address type is deferred to IP-over-FOO document.

This way we don't have to rely on any other document but a single
PANA-SNMP spec.

Does this make sense?

Alper

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 02:09:38 -0500

After taking a look at draft-ietf-eap-keying-05, I think that the most
generic set of cryptographic protection parameters that are common to
any link-layer security (and IPsec as well) is the parameters used by
a secure association protocol.  Possible parameters are (1) a key, and
(2) the name of the key, and (3) the DI of the PaC (the DI can be a
locally significant identifier, e.g., PPP interface-id).

In the case of 802.11i, the key is PMK and the name of the key is
PMKID, and the DI of the PaC is the MAC address of the PaC.

Just a note that in the case of IPsec, the key is IKE pre-shared key
and the name of the key is ID_KEY_ID, and the device identifier of the
PaC is the IP address of the PaC.

Comments?

Yoshihiro Ohba

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:36:57 -0800

This makes sense to me. Let's encode this into pana-snmp...

Alper

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Yoshihiro Ohba [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 11:10 PM
> To: Alper Yegin
> Cc: 'Yoshihiro Ohba'; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Pana] pana-snmp issue
>