Subject: [Pana] PPAC AVP

From: "Susan Thomson \(sethomso\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:21:19 -0400

Issue: There are use cases where having the PAA explicitly tell the PaC
what address configuration mechanism to use is not necessary. Currently,
the PAA can indicate a range of possible mechanisms so the PaC has
flexibility. However, it would still be better if PAA could avoid having
to be configured to send any info about addr config mechanism to prevent
unnecessary session failures and unnecessary PAA configuration.
 
Proposal: Relax reqt that PAA must set the address config  flags in the
PPAC when the N bit is unset, or define a new flag in the PPAC
("default" flag) that tells PaC that it can use whaever addr config
mechanism it would normally use for generating an IP address.
 
Thanks
Susan
 
_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:06:58 -0700

I'm not sure if we really need to handle the case that PAA does not know
the available IP configuration mechanisms, but I think there is a way to
handle it without changing the PANA specification. PAA can mark all
possible bits (either F/S/A, or T/I). In that case, PaC makes the choice
based on its local knowledge of what is available and what it prefers.
 
Alper

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Susan Thomson (sethomso)
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 3:21 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Pana] PPAC AVP

 
Thanks
Susan

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:55:34 -0400

Hi Susan,

> mechanism it would normally use for generating an IP address.

I am trying to understand in detail what is the expected behavior when
the "default" flag is set, and I have two questions.

Does the normally used configuration method depends on deployment?

Is there any pre-determined order of configuration methods for a
client to try until the client successfully configures an IP address
(e.g., method X, Y and Z are always tried in this order in any
deployment), or the trial order of configuration methods also depends
on deployment (e.g, methods X, Y and Z are tried in this order in one
deployment and methods Z, X, Y are tried in this order in another
deployment)?

Regards,
Yoshihiro Ohba

, is the normally used
configuration method pre-configured?

Does the "default" POPA configuration method chang