Subject: [Pana] Submission of I-D draft-ietf-pana-ipsec-07.txt to IESG for review and publication

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:37:20 -0500

Hello,

The PANA WG has completed working group last call on the following
I-D:
PANA Enabling IPsec based Access Control
<draft-ietf-pana-ipsec-xx.txt>

Revision 7 of the I-D incorporates all the changes that resulted from
reviews by the WG and chairs. The I-D is ready for IESG review and
publication. 

Status sought for the I-D: Standards track

1) Have the chairs personally reviewed this version of the ID and do
   they believe this ID is sufficiently baked to forward to the IESG
   for publication? 

Yes. This I-D has been discussed extensively at WG meetings
previously as well. 

2) Has the document had adequate review from both key WG members and
   key non-WG members? Do you have any concerns about the depth or
   breadth of the reviews that have been performed?

Yes. Chairs have sought I-D review from selected IETF people with
expertise in the area of security and other areas. A number of WG
members have also reviewed the draft. We are satisfied with the depth
of the review on this I-D.

3) Do you have concerns that the document needs more review from a
   particular (broader) perspective (e.g., security, operational
   complexity, someone familiar with AAA, etc.)? 

No. The document has had sufficient cross-area review and no further
reviews from other areas are essential at this time.
   
4) Do you have any specific concerns/issues with this document that
   you believe the ADs and/or IESG should be aware of? For example,
   perhaps you are uncomfortable with certain parts of the document,
   or whether there really is a need for it, etc., but at the same
   time these issues have been discussed in the WG and the WG has
   indicated it wishes to advance the document anyway.

No issues of concerns with the I-D. It is ready for IESG review. 
   
5) How solid is the WG consensus behind this document?  Does it
   represent the strong concurrence of a few individuals, with others
   being silent, or does the WG as a whole understand and agree with
   it?

Strong WG consensus exists behind this document. There has never been
any dispute about the need for this I-D and solution in the scope of
PANA. It is an integral part of the PANA protocol.

6) Has anyone threatened an appeal or otherwise indicated extreme
   discontent?  If so, please summarize what are they upset about.

No. 
   
7) Have the chairs verified that the document adheres to _all_ of the
   ID nits?  (see http://www.ietf.org/ID-nits.html).

Chairs have verified for nits and ensured that it complies.
   
8) Does the document a) split references into normative/informative,
   and b) are there normative references to IDs, where the IDs are not
   also ready for advancement or are otherwise in an unclear state?
   (Note: the RFC editor will not publish an RFC with normative
   references to IDs, it will delay publication until all such IDs are
   also ready for publication as RFCs.)

The document does split references into normative and
informative. All references are valid and there are no invalid
pointers at this time.

9) For Standards Track and BCP documents, the IESG approval
   announcement includes a writeup section with the following
   sections:

   - Technical Summary

   PANA is a protocol for authenticating clients to the access network
   using IP based protocols.  The PANA protocol authenticates the
   client and also establishes a PANA security association between the
   PANA client and PANA authentication agent at the end of a
   successful authentication.   
   This document discusses the details for establishing an IPsec  
   security association using the PANA security association for enabling

   IPsec based access control. 

   - Working Group Summary
   
   The document has been presented at several IETF WG meetings and
   been discussed extensively on the mailing list as well. The
   document has been reviewed by a number of experts selected by the
   chairs and comprise people from different areas. The working group
   last call resulted in a few comments that have been addressed in
   the current version of the I-D. There is strong consensus in the WG
   to publish this I-D as a proposed standard.
   
   - Protocol Quality

   The document does not specify a new protocol. It specifies how
   IPsec can be applied within the scope of PANA for securing the link
   between the PaC and the PAA or access router. The I-D specifies the
   method by which an IPsec SA is established that is used for
   securing the traffic between the host (PaC) and the access
   network. 
   No known implementations of this protocol exist at this time. 

-Chairs

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana