Subject: [Pana] SNMP is not mandatory

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:36:12 -0700

During the IETF 63 meeting we had realized that there may be some
misunderstandings around use of SNMP for PAA-to-EP protocol. While
ietf-pana-snmp describes the usage of SNMP, it is not mandatory for a
PANA deployment to use SNMP. It can choose to use another standard or
even proprietary protocol as long as the required functionality is
achieved.

I think fixing the following text would clarify this issue.

On the pana-pana document:

Change:

	The EP-to-PAA notification SHOULD be sent via
[I-D.ietf-pana-snmp].

To:

	The notification SHOULD be sent via a EP-to-PAA protocol (e.g., 
      [I-D.ietf-pana-snmp].

Change:

	SNMPv3 [I-D.ietf-pana-snmp] is used between the PAA and EP for 
	provisioning authorized PaC information on the EP.

To:

	SNMPv3 [I-D.ietf-pana-snmp] MAY be used between the PAA and EP
for 
	provisioning authorized PaC information on the EP.

On the pana-framework document:

Change:

	SNMP [I-D.ietf-pana-snmp] is chosen as the protocol to carry 
	associated information between the separate nodes.

To:

	SNMP [I-D.ietf-pana-snmp] can be used as the protocol to carry 
	associated information between the separate nodes.

In Figure 1, replace " SNMP/ API" with " SNMP/ API/ Other".
Similarly in Figure 2, use "SNMP/ Other".

Change:

	SNMP is used between PAA and EP(s) for this purpose when these 
	entities are not co-located [I-D.ietf-pana-snmp].

To:

	SNMP can be used between PAA and EP(s) for this purpose when
these 
	entities are not co-located. While the details are documented in

	[I-D.ietf-pana-snmp], SNMP usage between EP and PAA is not
mandatory.
	A deployment can use another standard or proprietary protocol
for
	instead of SNMP.

Alper

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:06:46 -0400

> even proprietary protocol as long as the required functionality is

I agree that it is not mandatory for a PANA deployment to use SNMP if
some other protocol (standard or proprietary) is available.  In case
no other common protocol is available in a particular deployment, I
think the only way to interoperate is to use pana-snmp.  Should this
point be described in some document, or is it too obvious to have some
text on this?

Yoshihiro Ohba

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:41:06 -0700

Hi Yoshi,

I have provided some text updates for the WG docs below. Feel free to
propose augment them as necessary.

Alper

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Yoshihiro Ohba [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 7:07 AM
> To: Alper Yegin
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Pana] SNMP is not mandatory
> 
> 
> I agree that it is not mandatory for a PANA deployment to use 
> SNMP if some other protocol (standard or proprietary) is 
> available.  In case no other common protocol is available in 
> a particular deployment, I think the only way to interoperate 
> is to use pana-snmp.  Should this point be described in some 
> document, or is it too obvious to have some text on this?
> 
> Yoshihiro Ohba
> 
> 
> > 
> > 	SNMPv3 [I-D.ietf-pana-snmp] MAY be used between the PAA 
> and EP for