Subject: [Pana] pana-pana Issue235: Nonce AVP

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 12:05:36 -0500

>8.9  Nonce AVP
>
>   The Nonce AVP (AVP Code 9) carries a randomly chosen value that is
>   used in cryptographic key computations.  The AVP data is of type
>   OctetString and it contains a randomly generated value in opaque
>   format.  The data length MUST be between 8 and 256 bytes inclusive.
>  
>
Again, point to RFC4086 for random values. Do you really need to allow 
for a 256 BYTE Nonce? Seems excessive, though I am not a cryptographer -

please ask someone on the security directorate (Steve, Russ, Sam, or 
someone else) about this. I'm afraid if someone uses 256 bytes you could

run into IP-fragmented PANA messages, which while possible to be 
processed of course, I imagine could inhibit performance on some 
platforms (and possibly run into unexpected bugs and overruns in badly 
written software).

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana