Subject: [Pana] pana-pana Issue218: AD comments on Introduction

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 11:50:54 -0500

>   Scope of this work is identified as designing a link-layer agnostic
>   transport for network access authentication methods.  The Extensible
>   Authentication Protocol (EAP) [RFC3748] provides such authentication
>   methods.  In other words, PANA will carry EAP which can carry
various
>   authentication methods.  By the virtue of enabling transport of EAP
>   above IP, any authentication method that can be carried as an EAP
>   method is made available to PANA and hence to any link-layer
>   technology.  
>
This is not entirely true. EAP may be *transported* over any link-layer 
for which IP is defined via PANA, however, there are still a number of 
linkages between EAP and the link-layer (reaching around the "PANA 
layer"). Some are referred to later in this document (A MAC Address 
Device ID, PANA session lifetime triggered by the lower layer, etc).

>There is a clear division of labor between PANA (an EAP
>   lower layer), EAP and EAP methods as described in [RFC3748].
>  
>
This is not true either, Section 5.10 on Network Selection is a clear 
case where the line between EAP and PANA is muddy indeed.

Let's be a bit more honest in the Introduction. PANA offers a common 
transport for EAP over various link-layers, but it does not shield the 
link-layer from defining a number of things in order to work with
PANA/EAP.

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana