Subject: [Pana] Issue232: Error handling

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 01:11:56 +0100

hi all, 

here is a proposal for resolving issue 232. 

what about the following text?

change from:

"
5.11  Error Handling

   A PANA-Error-Request message MAY be sent by either the PaC or the PAA
   when a badly formed PANA message is received or in case of other
   errors.  The receiver of this request MUST respond with a PANA-Error-
   Answer message.  If the cause of this error message was a request
   message, then the request MAY be retransmitted immediately without
   waiting for its retransmission timer to go off.  If the cause of the
   error was a response message, the receiver of the PANA-Error-Request
   message SHOULD NOT resend the same response until it receives the
   next request.

   Erroneous PANA messages may be exploited by adversaries to launch DoS
   attacks on the victims.  Unless the PaC or PAA rate-limits the
   generated PANA-Error-Request messages it may be overburdened by
   having to respond to bogus messages.  Limiting the number of error
   notifications sent to a given peer during a (configurable) period of
   time may be useful.

   When an error message is sent unprotected (i.e., no MAC AVP) and the
   lower-layer is insecure, the error message is treated as an
   informational message.  The receiver of such an error message MUST
   NOT change its state unless the error persists and the PANA session
   is not making any progress.
"

to:

"
5.11  Error Handling

   A PANA-Error-Request message MAY be sent by either the PaC or the PAA
   when a badly formed PANA message is received or in case of other
   errors.  The receiver of this request MUST respond with a PANA-Error-
   Answer message. 

   An adversary might craft erroneous PANA messages to launch a Denial
of  
   Service attack.  Unless the PaC or the PAA performs a rate-limitation
of the
   generated PANA-Error-Request messages it may be overburdened by
   responding to bogus messages. Note that a PANA-Error-Answer message
that is 
   sent in response to a PANA-Error-Request message does not require
either 
   the PaC or the PAA to create state. 

   If an error message is sent unprotected (i.e., without using an AUTH
AVP)
   and the lower-layer is insecure then the error message MUST be
processed
   such that the receiver does not change its state.
"

ciao
hannes

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 18:25:39 -0500

Hi Hannes,

I agree with the proposed text.

Yoshihiro Ohba