Subject: [Pana] pana-pana Issue240: PaC Updating its IP address [Proposed text]

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:28:21 -0500

[1] Replace Section 5.8 with:

"
5.8  PaC Updating its IP Address and Device Identifier

   A PaC's IP address can change in certain situations.  For example,
   the PANA framework [I-D.ietf-pana-framework] describes a case in
   which a PaC replaces a pre-PANA address (PRPA) with a post-PANA
   address (POPA).  In another situation a PaC may change its IP
   address used for PANA when it moves from one IP link to another
   within the same PAA's realm.  In order to maintain the PANA
   session, the PAA needs to be notified about the change of PaC
   address.

   On the other hand, the device identifier of the PaC can also change
   in the same situations.  In order to maintain the device identifier
   state at EP(s), the PAA needs to be notified about the change of
   device identifier as well so that the PAA can update the EP(s) with
   the change (in addition, if there is an IPsec SA between the PaC
   and an EP, the EP will need to be notified by the PaC about the
   change using MOBIKE [I-D.ietf-mobike-protocol]).

   After the PaC has changed its IP address and/or device identifier,
   it MUST send a PANA-Update-Request message to the PAA.  When the
   PaC has changed its device identifier, the PANA-Update-Request
   message MUST include a Device-Id AVP containing the new device
   identifier.  The PAA MUST update the PANA session
   with the new PaC address carried in the Source Address field of
   the IP header and the new device identifier carried in the
   Device-Id AVP, and return a PANA-Update-Answer message.  The
   PANA-Update-Answer message MAY contain one or more Device-Id AVPs 
   for the EP(s) associated with the new subnet.  If there is an
   established PANA SA, both PANA-Update-Request and
   PANA-Update-Answer messages MUST be protected with a MAC AVP.
"

[2] Change Section 7.18 from:

"
7.18  PANA-Update-Request (PUR)

   The PANA-Update-Request (PUR) message is sent either by the PaC or
   the PAA to deliver attribute updates and notifications.  In the scope
   of this specification only the PaC IP address can be updated via this
   mechanism.

   PANA-Update-Request ::= < PANA-Header: 10, REQ >
                       < Session-Id >
                       [ Notification ]
                    *  [ AVP ]
                   0*1 < MAC >
"

to:

"
7.18  PANA-Update-Request (PUR)

   The PANA-Update-Request (PUR) message is sent either by the PaC or
   the PAA to deliver attribute updates and notifications.  In the scope
   of this specification only the IP address and device identifer of the PaC 
   can be updated via this message.

   PANA-Update-Request ::= < PANA-Header: 10, REQ >
                       < Session-Id >
                       [ Device-Id }
                       [ Notification ]
                    *  [ AVP ]
                   0*1 < MAC >
"

[3] Change Section 7.19 from:

"
7.19  PANA-Update-Answer (PUA)

   The PANA-Update-Answer (PUA) message is sent by the PAA (PaC) to the
   PaC (PAA) in response to a PANA-Update-Request from the PaC (PAA).

   PANA-Update-Answer ::= < PANA-Header: 10 >
                       < Session-Id >
                       [ Notification ]
                    *  [ AVP ]
                   0*1 < MAC >
"

to:

"
7.19  PANA-Update-Answer (PUA)

   The PANA-Update-Answer (PUA) message is sent by the PAA (PaC) to the
   PaC (PAA) in response to a PANA-Update-Request from the PaC (PAA).

   PANA-Update-Answer ::= < PANA-Header: 10 >
                       < Session-Id >
                    *  [ Device-Id ]
                       [ Notification ]
                    *  [ AVP ]
                   0*1 < MAC >
"

[4] Add a normative reference to draft-ietf-mobike-protocol.

Comments are appreciated,

Yoshihiro Ohba

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana