Subject: [Pana] PANA and KDF

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:33:41 -0500

In the current pana specification, we have KDF (Key Derivation
Function) for PANA_AUTH_KEY and PaC-EP-Master-Key and KDF is
hard-coded in the specification.

If we can make KDF as changeable parameter like MAC algorithm for AUTH
AVP, then PANA can be completely independent of cryptographic
algorithm.

One approach is:

- Use prf+ as KDF for both PANA_AUTH_KEY and PaC-EP-Master-Key.

- Define a new AVP to specify a hash algorithm used for
prf+

- PBR carries the newly defined AVP, meaning that the algorithm is
determined by PAA and non-negotiable for simplicity.

- PaC and PAA use the hash algorithm specified in the AVP as the hash
algorithm for prf+.

- Make HMAC-SHA1 as the mandatory supported hash algorithm to maintain
interoperability.

Additional thought:

Algorithm field in MAC AVP (which is AUTH AVP in the latest snapshot)
can be moved to the newly defined AVP, allowing not only KDF algorithm
but also Message Authentication algorithm to be determined by the new
AVP altogether (and there is no need to carry MAC algorithm in every
AUTH AVP.)

Yoshihiro Ohba

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana