Subject: [Pana] [DHCP option] Use of DNS before PANA authentication

From: "MORAND Lionel RD-CORE-ISS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 13:02:29 +0100

Hi All,

In our draft describing DHCP options to convey information to the PaC to
enable the location of PAA in the access network, we have defined two
ways to advertize the PAAs: provide a list of domain names and/or a list
of IP addresses.

During the draft presentation to the DHC wg, it was raised that it could
not be possible for unauthenticated hosts to access a DNS becasue access
to the network would be restricted by the EP.
Therefore, should we remove this option from the draft in the next
version and define only the IP address list? Or is there a possible DNS
access even for unauthenticated host?

I wander if it could be possible to provide unauthenticated hosts with
access to the DNS providing limited answers, if a PRPA/POPA scheme is
used for instance or any other implementation configuration.
But I have no strong opinion on this.
Any thouhgt?

Best Regards,

Lionel
_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: "MORAND Lionel RD-CORE-ISS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 23:55:02 +0100

Following the presentation done during the PANA session on this item, and in the lack of feedback, I propose to answer to the DHC WG that such a question is just an access network configuration matter and we should let the possiblity to use DNS if someone wants to use it. We should not preclude this option.
 
Feel free to react if there is any concern.
 
BR,
 
Lionel

________________________________

De : MORAND Lionel RD-CORE-ISS [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Envoyé : lundi 6 mars 2006 13:02
À : [email-masked]
Objet : [Pana] [DHCP option] Use of DNS before PANA authentication

Hi All, 

In our draft describing DHCP options to convey information to the PaC to enable the location of PAA in the access network, we have defined two ways to advertize the PAAs: provide a list of domain names and/or a list of IP addresses.

During the draft presentation to the DHC wg, it was raised that it could not be possible for unauthenticated hosts to access a DNS becasue access to the network would be restricted by the EP.

Therefore, should we remove this option from the draft in the next version and define only the IP address list? Or is there a possible DNS access even for unauthenticated host?

I wander if it could be possible to provide unauthenticated hosts with access to the DNS providing limited answers, if a PRPA/POPA scheme is used for instance or any other implementation configuration.

Best Regards, 

Lionel