Subject: [Pana] ISP-Information and NAP-Information AVPs

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 09:09:52 -0400

Hi,

In the current PANA specification, ISP-Information and NAP-Information AVPs 
are defined as follows:

   ISP-Information ::= < AVP Header: 7 >
                    0*1 { Provider-Identifier }
                        { Provider-Name }
                     *  [ AVP ]

   NAP-Information ::= < AVP Header: 9 >
                    0*1 { Provider-Identifier }
                        { Provider-Name }
                     *  [ AVP ]

   where:

   The Provider-Identifier AVP (AVP Code 14) is of type Unsigned32, and
   contains an IANA assigned "SMI Network Management Private Enterprise
   Codes" [ianaweb] value, encoded in network byte order.

   The Provider-Name AVP (AVP Code 15) is of type UTF8String, and
   contains the UTF8-encoded name of the provider.

The above format was developed before geopriv WG started the work of
draft-ietf-geopriv-radius-lo which defines RADIUS attribute named
Operator-Name to serve as operator identifier.

I believe use of this RADIUS attribute format is more appropriate for
NAP- and ISP-Information AVPs in PANA than what is defined in
pana-pana-12 because the attribute supports multiple operator
namespaces.  Note that IEEE 802.21 WG also adopted this RADIUS
attribute format for operator identifier in their speficication.

A RADIUS Operator-Name attribute value consists of 1-octet operator
Namespace ID and variable-length Operator-Name:

      0                   1                   2                   3
      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | Namespace ID  | Operator-Name                                ...
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | Operator-Name                                                ...
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

     Namespace ID:

       The value within this field contains the
       operator namespace identifier. The Namespace ID value
       is encoded as an 8-bit unsigned integer value.

       Example: 1 for REALM

     Operator-Name:

       The text field of variable length contains an
       Access Network Operator Name.
       This field is a RADIUS base data type of Text.

       Example: anyisp.example.com

The following is the list of Namespace ID values currently in
draft-ietf-geopriv-radius-lo:

   TADIG (0):

      This namespace can be used to indicate operator names based on
      Transferred Account Data Interchange Group (TADIG) codes defined
      in [13].  TADIG codes are assigned by the TADIG Working Group
      within the GSM Association.  The TADIG Code consists of two
      fields, with a total length of five ASCII characters consisting of
      a three-character country code and a two-character aplhanumeric
      operator (or company) ID.

   REALM (1):

      The REALM operator namespace can be used to indicate operator
      names based on any registered domain name.  Such names are
      required to be unique and the rights to use a given realm name are
      obtained coincident with acquiring the rights to use a particular
      Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN).

   E212 (2):

      The E212 namespace can be used to indicate operator names based on
      the Mobile Country Code (MCC) and Mobile Network Code (MNC)
      defined in [14].  The MCC/MCC values are assigned by the
      Telecommunications Standardization Bureau (TSB) within the ITU-T
      and designated administrators in different countries.  The E212
      value consists of three ASCII digits containing the MCC, followed
      by two or three ASCII digits containing the MNC.

   ICC (3):

      The ICC namespace can be used to indicate operator names based on
      ITU Carrier Codes (ICC) defined in [15].  ICC values are assigned
      by national regulatory authorities and are coordinated by the
      Telecommunication Standardization Bureau (TSB) within the ITU-T.
      When using the ICC namespace, the attribute consists of three
      uppercase ASCII characters containing a three-letter alphabetic
      country code as defined in [16], followed by one to six uppercase
      alphanumeric ASCII characters containing the ICC itself.

(I think Namespace ID for IEEE 802.16 Operator ID should also be
added, but this is not a PANA issue.)

Suggested changes for PANA specification:

- Define ISP-Information AVP and NAP-Information AVP as type OctetString 
where the octetstring data contains a RADIUS Operator-Name attribute value 
defined in draft-ietf-geopriv-radius-lo.

- Remove Provider-Identifier AVP and Provider-Name AVP from the
speficication.

Best regards,
Yoshihiro Ohba

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana