Subject: Re: [Pana] [Fwd: draft-ietf-pana-pana-18.txt updated by Amanda Baber]

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 08:44:49 -0400

I agree.  I think that the 1st paragraph of Section 10.2.1 should be
revised from:

"
10.2.1.  Message Type

   The Message Type namespace is used to identify PANA messages.  The
   range of values 0 - 65,519 are for permanent, standard message types,
   allocated by IETF Consensus [IANA].  This document defines the range
   of values 1 - 4.  The same Message Type is used for both the request
   and the answer messages, except for type 1.  The Request bit
   distinguishes requests from answers.  See Section 7 for the
   assignment of the namespace in this specification.
"

to:

"
10.2.1.  Message Type

   The Message Type namespace is used to identify PANA messages.
   Message Type 0 is not used and not assigned by IANA.  The
   range of values 1 - 65,519 are for permanent, standard message types,
   allocated by IETF Consensus [IANA].  This document defines the range
   of values 1 - 4.  The same Message Type is used for both the request
   and the answer messages, except for type 1.  The Request bit
   distinguishes requests from answers.  See Section 7 for the
   assignment of the namespace in this specification.
"

For the same reason, the 2nd paragraph of Section
10.3.1 should be revised from:

"
   AVP Code 0 is not used.  This document defines the AVP Codes 1-9.
   See Section 8.1 through Section 8.9 for the assignment of the
   namespace in this specification.
"

to:

"
   AVP Code 0 is not used and not assigned by IANA.  This document
   defines the AVP Codes 1-9.
   See Section 8.1 through Section 8.9 for the assignment of the
   namespace in this specification.
"

Regards,
Yoshihiro Ohba

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 08:39:19AM -0400, James Carlson wrote:
> Alper Yegin writes:
> > > In 10.3.1 the document says:
> > > 
> > > AVP Code 0 is not used.
> > > 
> > > Does this mean that code 0 cannot be assigned, or only that this code
> > > isn't defined in this document but can be assigned by IANA?
> > 
> > I think we meant to keep 0 as reserved. I don't know why though...
> 
> I'd suggest leaving 0 reserved for most enumerations, just because
> zero is the result of a common coding error.
> 
> -- 
> James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <[email-masked]>
> Sun Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.232W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
> MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.496N   Fax +1 781 442 1677
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Pana mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana
> 

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana