Subject: [Pana] review of draft-ohba-pana-pemk

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 18:22:33 +0200

I have reviewed this document with the idea of taking this on as an AD 
sponsored submission for Proposed Standard. I only had one minor 
editorial issue with it:

>    o  EPID is the identifier of the EP.  The first two octets represents
>       the AddressType, which contains an Address Family defined in
>       [IANAADFAM <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ohba-pana-pemk-03#ref-IANAADFAM>]. 

Is there a better reference for this than the IANA web page? An RFC 
perhaps? If you find a better reference please issue a new draft version.

Also, there's a bigger potential issue around the EMSK vs. MSK usage 
that we have already discussed earlier this year. In my own analysis I 
think the draft is doing the right thing -- MSK is already delivered to 
the PANA agent and already derived in one way to secure PANA itself. I 
see no problem in using it for the second time to derive a related key. 
However, I have asked the security ADs for advice on this issue, and 
maybe I'll be surprised on what they say. Stay tuned.

Jari

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 19:59:43 +0900

Thank you for your review.  Please see my comments below.

Jari Arkko wrote:
>>       [IANAADFAM 
>> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ohba-pana-pemk-03#ref-IANAADFAM>]. 
> 

There is STD 02 that has a table for address family numbers. 
But I could not access the repository pointed by the URL
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/address-family-numbers
mentioned in STD 02 (i.e., FTP fails with "550 No such
file").  We may have two choices: (1) use STD 02, expecting
that the URL issue in STD 02 is resolved, or (2) use the 
IANA web page as in the current version.  Any suggestion?

> maybe I'll be surprised on what they say. Stay tuned.

OK.

Yoshihiro Ohba

> 
> Jari
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Pana mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana
>

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:38:27 +0200

Yoshihiro,

> There is STD 02 that has a table for address family numbers. But I 
> could not access the repository pointed by the URL
> that the URL issue in STD 02 is resolved, or (2) use the IANA web page 
> as in the current version.  Any suggestion?

Can you point both to the new URL _and_ the STD/RFC?

Also, it would be useful to submit an errata on the wrong URL, if no one 
has done that yet.

Jari

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 22:11:43 +0900

> Can you point both to the new URL _and_ the STD/RFC?

OK.  We will have references to both the IANA web page and 
STD0002/RFC3232.

> Also, it would be useful to submit an errata on the wrong URL, if no one 

It seems no one has done that yet since no errata is found 
for RFC3232.

Thanks,
Yoshihiro Ohba