Subject: [Pana] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-yegin-pana-encr-avp-01.txt

From: Robert Cragie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 11:04:49 +0000

I would like to move this forward so I am soliciting any comments from 
the PANA mailing list.

Thanks

Robert

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for draft-yegin-pana-encr-avp-01.txt
Date: 	Wed, 04 Jan 2012 01:53:07 -0800
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]
CC: 	[email-masked], [email-masked]

A new version of I-D, draft-yegin-pana-encr-avp-01.txt has been successfully submitted by Alper Yegin and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-yegin-pana-encr-avp
Revision:	 01
Title:		 Encrypting PANA AVPs
Creation date:	 2012-01-04
WG ID:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 8

Abstract:
    This document specifies a mechanism for delivering PANA (Protocol for
    Carrying Authentication for Network Access) AVPs (Attribute-Value
    Pairs) in encrypted form.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Yasuyuki Tanaka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 15:00:31 +0900

Hi,

I've read the draft and I have four comments. Please see them below.

Best,
Yasuyuki Tanaka

---------------------------------------------------------------------

(1) Section 3
I found a typo in the last sentence.

 >   The length of PANA_ENCR_KEY depends on the integrity algorithm in
 >   use.

should be

     The length of PANA_ENCR_KEY depends on the *encryption* algorithm in
     use.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

(2) Section 4
I've not found text about key size of AES to be used for
AES_CTR. Probably 128-bit is assumed.

It would be better to clarify the key size to be used for the
algorithm and to use "AES128_CTR" or something instead of "AES_CTR".

---------------------------------------------------------------------

(3) Section 4
The definition of "q" is different between the draft and NIST
SP800-38C. In this draft, "q" is defined as "octet length of message
length field." But in NIST SP800-38C, "q" is defined as "The octet
length of the binary representation of the octet length of the
payload."

In addition, I don't realize what 'length of message length field'
means... Why is "q" 3? The length of "Message Length" field of PANA
Message Header is 2 octets...

Anyway, I think the following part might cause some confusion.

 >      AES-CTR (Counter) encryption algorithm as specified in
 >      [NIST_SP800_38A].  The formatting function and counter generation
 >      function as specified in Appendix A of [NIST_SP800_38C] are used,
 >      with the following parameters:
 >
 >
 >            n, octet length of nonce, is 12.
 >            q, octet length of message length field, is 3.

IMHO, it's better to say just "q is 3" as the definition of "q".

---------------------------------------------------------------------

(4) Section 4
It would be very helpful to provide an example of the first counter.

When Key-Id is 0x55667788, Session ID is 0xaabbccdd, and Sequence
Number is 0x11223344, the correct first counter is
0x0255667788aabbccdd11223344000001. is it correct?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

(2012/03/16 20:04), Robert Cragie wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Pana mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana