Subject: [PANRG] draft-jaufeerally-nexthop-path-info

From: "Rayhaan Jaufeerally (IETF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 21:12:52 +0100

Dear PANRG,

I am writing to let you know about an internet draft which I have been
working on, relating to disseminating path information to end hosts within
an AS. Specifically, this path information would be based upon the links
which connect the AS the end host is in, to the rest of the internet.

I have uploaded this document to the IETF datatracker as
"draft-jaufeerally-nexthop-path-info-00" and you can find it at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jaufeerally-nexthop-path-info/?include_text=1
.

If you believe that this document is of interest to the working group,
please feel free to send any comments, opinions, or criticism relating to
it.

Additionally, after having written the draft, I became aware of the ALTO WG
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/alto/about/), and it seems that the work
they are doing is somewhat similar. However, the key difference appears to
be that the ALTO protocol helps the host choose a destination address which
is on a better path, when there are multiple destination addresses to
choose from. I believe this would mean that the end host is not able to
unilaterally (with the help of their AS, of course) choose a path to reach
a given destination, which is what I had in mind when writing the draft.

Thank you in advance for your feedback,
Rayhaan