Subject: [PANRG] I-D Action: draft-irtf-panrg-what-not-to-do-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 07:20:28 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Path Aware Networking RG RG of the IRTF.

        Title           : Path Aware Networking: Obstacles to Deployment (A Bestiary of Roads Not Taken)
        Author          : Spencer Dawkins
	Filename        : draft-irtf-panrg-what-not-to-do-03.txt
	Pages           : 31
	Date            : 2019-05-23

Abstract:
   At the first meeting of the Path Aware Networking Research Group, the
   research group agreed to catalog and analyze past efforts to develop
   and deploy Path Aware technologies, most of which were unsuccessful,
   in order to extract insights and lessons for path-aware networking
   researchers.

   This document contains that catalog and analysis.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-panrg-what-not-to-do/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-panrg-what-not-to-do-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-irtf-panrg-what-not-to-do-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-panrg-what-not-to-do-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 14:39:04 +0000

Dear All,

I reviewed the IETF 104 discussion of this draft with Brian and Jen, and
submitted -03, which isn't a huge change from -02.

Here's what I'm thinking.

We said that we would wordsmith on the mailing list, and this version is
now open for wordsmithing (pull requests also work). I hope for special
attention to Lessons Learned (
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-panrg-what-not-to-do-03#section-2).

We spent significant time in Prague talking about whether Lessons Learned
are still true, and whether they are true in all cases. I think that's an
important discussion to have, and we're already having it, but my
preference is to get the current Lessons Learned in this draft correct and
crisp, and start a new document that has each Lesson Learned as a short
section, where we can capture that discussion, and come up with
"Considerations for Transition toward Path Aware Networking" that would (at
least) guide our research in this RG. If people object strongly to that
Path Forward, please let us know.

(See what I did there?)

We noted that the IAB had several RFCs providing guidance in this space. I
THINK -02 named them all in Section 1.5, but I strengthened the
recommendation to actually READ these RFCs, along with adding pointers to
specific sections. Again, if people think we should handle this some other
way, please let us know.

Please share your thoughts!

Spencer, as editor for this draft

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 2:20 PM <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Panrg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/panrg
>