Subject: [PANRG] Seek feedback and discussion from PANRG on ALTO WG recharter

From: Qiao Xiang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2020 23:29:15 +0800

Dear PANRG members,

How are you doing? Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during the
pandemic. :-)

My name is Qiao Xiang and I am a member of the ALTO working group (
https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/alto/about/). I am writing to share the
news that the ALTO working group is starting the rechartering process.
Discussion about the recharter items is happening on the ALTO mailing list,
and there will also be a recharter discussion session in the coming ALTO WG
meeting at 5-7am UTC, November 19, at IETF 109.

Among the potential recharter items, several of us (Ingmar, Sebastian,
Richard, Kai and me) are investigating extending ALTO to multidomains, so
that applications spanning multiple networks can retrieve information from
these networks. As starting points, a draft summarizing the challenges of
extending ALTO to multidomain was uploaded (
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-xiang-alto-multidomain-extension/),
and an initial design proposal was posted on the mailing list (
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/alto/aKgF4SHbHZLmJjOxTpoxrNCeYrA/).
It is our understanding that a major objective of path-aware networking is
to extend it to path-aware internetworking, i.e., extending the path
awareness across domain boundaries without resorting to overlays. As such,
we think there can be lots of shared interests, synergies and collaboration
opportunities on this item, among other ones, between the ALTO WG and
PANRG. For example, the ALTO multidomain extension would
provide some answers to the second question in "Current Open Questions in
Path Aware Networking": "how do endpoints and applications get access to
trustworthy path properties?"

With this close relatedness between PANRG and ALTO, I would like to invite
you to join the recharter discussion via the ALTO mailing list and the ALTO
WG meeting. In addition, we also organize a weekly Zoom meeting (
https://yale.zoom.us/my/yryang) at 9:00 am US EST every Tuesday, during
which we discuss all recharter items as well as the current WG items. You
are very welcome to join us.

Thank you and we look forward to more discussion and collaborations between
the two groups.

Best wishes
Qiao Xiang
-- 
Qiao Xiang
Associate Research Scientist,
Department of Computer Science,
Yale University