Subject: [Patient] ETSI Hot Middlebox Workshop and Hackathon

From: Tony Rutkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 12:32:29 -0500

Hi Kathleen,

Given the focus of this list, and in the spirit of decades-long 
ETSI-IETF cooperation, the Hot Middlebox Workshop and Hackathon in June 
seem like good venues for continuing the PATIENT dialogue in a 
constructive fashion that brings together the diverse requirements, 
concerns, and perspectives.  Indeed, some of the concerns expressed on 
this list have proved valuable in adjusting the features of the ETSI TC 
CYBER Middlebox Security Protocol (MSP) suite and testing guidelines.

Network-based security solutions are being used by enterprises, public 
sector, and cloud service providers today in order to both complement 
and augment host-based security solutions.  As a result, almost every 
industry standards body, major vendor, and research institute worldwide 
are now proceeding to consider middlebox-based techniques to deal with 
the impacts of proposed TLS changes which you and others have identified 
in IETF informational Internet Drafts.

The ETSI workshop information is found at 
<http://www.etsi.org/etsi-security-week-2018/middlebox-security>. The 
preliminary Hackathon description is attached.

My understanding is there will be some event at the upcoming London IETF 
meeting to more fully discuss these unique, complementary events and 
provide feedback to optimise the interests of IETF community.  Hopefully 
you and other IETF participants will participate in the Workshop, 
Hackathon, and preparatory activities. There is no cost to participation.

best,
tony (Rapporteur for MSP Part 3)