Subject: [Pce] PCEP Requirements for WSON Impairments

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 15:14:47 +0800

Hi Dr.Lee and Dr. Bernstein

You update a new RWA path request/reply in your presentation about 
draft-lee-pce-wson-impairments-00.txt

The PCReq Message MAY include some specific measure of optical signal 
quality to which all feasible paths should conform:
        The BER limit
        Q factor
        OSNR + Margin
        PMD

I think the BER limit is composed of required BER value (determined by 
signal's modulation type )+ OSNR+PMD+margin, and Q factor is equivalent to 
BER.
So the four items listed above should not be in parallel, what do you 
think?

Another  thing needs to be taken care is that the BER value,  is it 
pre-FEC/ after-FEC or should be both included?

If the LSP across some opaque NE (e.g. regenerator/OEO/wavelength 
converter ), then BER value of LSP consists of several segments. And in 
this situation,
the reply message should return the maximum BER value or every segment's?

B.R.

:)

Fei

---

From: Young Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:28:03 -0600

Hi Fei,

Please see my comments below. Thanks.

Young

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 1:15 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: PCEP Requirements for WSON Impairments

I think the BER limit is composed of required BER value (determined by
signal's modulation type )+ OSNR+PMD+margin, and Q factor is equivalent to
BER. 
So the four items listed above should not be in parallel, what do you think?

Young>> Here the list does not mean to be mutually exclusive. There are
cases where the path needs to be optimized in a particular impairment data
such as OSNR or PMD, etc. This requirement comes from a carrier. 

Another  thing needs to be taken care is that the BER value,  is it pre-FEC/
after-FEC or should be both included? 

Young>> Per-FEC is assumed here. 

If the LSP across some opaque NE (e.g. regenerator/OEO/wavelength converter
), then BER value of LSP consists of several segments. And in this
situation, 
the reply message should return the maximum BER value or every segment's? 

Young>>  The end-to-end BER value is sufficient, I think. 

B.R. 

:) 

Fei