Subject: [Pce] I-D Action: draft-ietf-pce-questions-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 03:22:20 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Path Computation Element Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Unanswered Questions in the Path Computation Element Architecture
        Authors         : Adrian Farrel
                          Daniel King
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pce-questions-02.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2014-02-06

Abstract:
   The Path Computation Element (PCE) architecture is set out in RFC
   4655. The architecture is extended for multi-layer networking with
   the introduction of the Virtual Network Topology Manager in RFC
   5623, and generalized to Hierarchical PCE in RFC 6805.

   These three architectural views of PCE deliberately leave some key
   questions unanswered especially with respect to the interactions
   between architectural components.  This document draws out those
   questions and discusses them in an architectural context with
   reference to other architectural components, existing protocols, and
   recent IETF work efforts.

   This document does not update the architecture documents and does not
   define how protocols or components must be used.  It does, however,
   suggest how the architectural components might be combined to provide
   advanced PCE function.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pce-questions/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pce-questions-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-pce-questions-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 11:29:50 -0000

Hi,

We cleaned up a couple of typos.

No other questions for immediate answer having been raised, the authors think
this work is complete and suggest that it is time to last call it and requst
publication.

Thanks,
Adrian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Pce [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: 06 February 2014 11:22
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Pce] I-D Action: draft-ietf-pce-questions-02.txt
> 
> 
>  This draft is a work item of the Path Computation Element Working Group of
the
> IETF.
> _______________________________________________
> Pce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pce

---

From: Dhruv Dhody <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 17:51:50 +0530

Hi Adrian,

There are a few comments that i made during the WG adoption call.
[http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/pce/current/msg03168.html].

Most of them have been handled in -01 version.
I have listed some that i would like your opinion on.

* Sec 3.  How Is Topology Information Gathered?
Another issue faced when using IGP to fed TED is the area-scope issue. Since
IGP-TE flooding scope is per area, an multi-area or AS-scope PCE must
have an IGP peer
for all the areas.

Also I think we can augment this section to include 'How PCE learn about
Boundary Nodes?'.

* Sec 5.  How Do I Select Between PCEs?
Along with capability, you can also mention the PCE's preference for each
computation scope as carried in the PATH-SCOPE subtlv.

* Sec 13.  What are Sticky Resources?
OLD:
This can result in LSP setup failures are there is contention for
resources.
NEW:
This can result in LSP setup failures if there is contention for
resources.

* Sec 20.  Comparison of Stateless and Stateful PCE
Can you have a re look at this wrt draft-ietf-pce-pce-initiated-lsp-00
is now a WG draft.

Regards,

Dhruv

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]> wrote:

> >         Title           : Unanswered Questions in the Path Computation
> Element
> > Architecture
> >         Authors         : Adrian Farrel
> >                           Daniel King